Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam POW's returning for 40 yr anniversary dinner.. Wonder why no PTSD?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Vietnam POW's returning for 40 yr anniversary dinner.. Wonder why no PTSD?

Was watching a snipped of news about a dinner celebration for the masses of POWs returned from vietnam having a 40 yr reunion of sorts and someone in the room (having lunch at denny's) commented that she was surprised that with all the POWs and others from "nam" had to endure compared to what our guys do these days, why we have a lot more PTSD now than we ever did back then..

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Vietnam POW's returning for 40 yr anniversary dinner.. Wonder why no PTSD?

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Was watching a snipped of news about a dinner celebration for the masses of POWs returned from vietnam having a 40 yr reunion of sorts and someone in the room (having lunch at denny's) commented that she was surprised that with all the POWs and others from "nam" had to endure compared to what our guys do these days, why we have a lot more PTSD now than we ever did back then..
    We don't know what they're rated for. PTSD could very well be on the POWs' ratings.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Vietnam POW's returning for 40 yr anniversary dinner.. Wonder why no PTSD?

Went to HS with alot of their sons/daughters, tough Navy BRATS and Navy Wives!!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Media.

Check some veteran's websites. There are Vietnam veterans who are only now receiving disabilities associated with PTSD.

JD2780 Guest

Perhaps because we know more about it now than we did back then. Few guys are coming home getting hammered and beating their wives as well.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My ROTC Field Training Commandant was a former POW. Whenever he thought nobody was looking, he would get that "thousand yard stare". I'm pretty sure the guy had PTSD, even though he acted calm and even-keeled. The guy had some interesting stories, like how he got shot down by his own bomb. It got stuck in the boundary layer after it was released and it followed his F-4 into the climb away from the target. Five and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton because of a boundary layer problem. That's why we now have Seek Eagle.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When I was at SOS during fall 1985 remember seeing the assistant commandant at the BX or commissary. I knew he'd been a POW in NVN. I have never seen such a haunted look in anyone's eyes. Saw a picture of him again maybe last week. The haunted look seems to have pretty much gone away. I am glad.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When I came home on my mid-tour from Taegu in 93 my Dad said a neighbor (Korean War Vet) wanted to talk to me. We stopped at his house, maps of Korea on the living room walls. He arrived at a place called Ingi (I believe K-16 AB was there, it's in north korea) in 51. He told me about some of the things he saw while he was there. When his wife pulled into the driveway he stopped talking. There are a lot of guys who have been carrying a lot for a lot of years. The VA hospital where I work is getting more Korean Veterans (even some WWII Vets) opening up about what they went through.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Men used to pride themselves on "playing with pain". It's out of vogue.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Media.

Check some veteran's websites. There are Vietnam veterans who are only now receiving disabilities associated with PTSD.
    I am a Vietnam Vet and never heard of PTSD until the dustup in Iraq. There was a very high wall between the Veteran's Administration and the military during my career and the two were never mentioned while I was in the Air Force in any conversation. I always thought the VA was for Veterans who got out of the military and did not serve retired people. My brother, a retired Marine finally told me I should sign up for the VA 20 years after I retired. I thought retired people could only use Champus and Tricare for life until my brother told me differently. I joined the VA and it was soon found that I had a combat related disability that I did not know about. Saved the government 20 years of disability pay. I should get a bonus for that.
    Last edited by Slyoldawg; 05-24-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Thread Information