Thread: Memorial Day

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Memorial Day

mday.jpg

I know I don't have to post this here, but I though I would share this picture.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Memorial Day

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have absolutely no problem with anyone celebrating with BBQs etc on Memorial Day. Had fate dictated that I not come home as a result of my service I would rather the thought of someone fondly remembering me at some function which I would have enjoyed had I been there to any overly somber, tear-filled event.

Families and loved ones sometimes need those events and they are important but we shouldn't get too wrapped around the axle over them.

A few years ago, the local school system used Memorial Day to make up for a day missed because of weather earlier in the year. I raised holy hell and flatly stated my son was not going to school that day. There was a compromise where they set up an event for his JROTC unit to participate in at a local assisted living facility (honoring the service dead) and gave him school attendance credit for doing that.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TSgt"M" View Post
    mday.jpg
    I know I don't have to post this here, but I though I would share this picture.
    Nothing wrong with a barbecue on Memorial Day. At least it's something. Veteran's Day is simply a day were people park their fatasses on the couch and do absolutely nothing, while looking forward to that four-day weekend coming up in two weeks.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I will be BBQing on Memorial Day, After memorial service. The point is a lot of people "celebrate" it. To me its a solemn day.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TSgt"M" View Post
    I will be BBQing on Memorial Day, After memorial service. The point is a lot of people "celebrate" it. To me its a solemn day.
    I wasn't dissing you M. Just reacting an attitude I see around here and in life from time to time. Seems to turn some things into a catch phrase rather than have any meaning.

Like when someone says "He won the Medal of Honor"

Really ?!?! Is it necessary to castigate the person by pointing out (usually in a harsh and belittling tone) that the MoH is 'awarded' not 'won'. Someone reads that or even was subjected to it at some point and then it becomes their mantra.

Ok, off my soap box.

Everyone enjoy the weekend and holiday. Do what I do.........at some point (preferably with an adult beverage in hand) pause and acknowledge (either silently or to those in attendance) those who couldn't be there because of their sacrifice. Those you knew and those you didn't. If indeed there is a better place and they are watching THAT is all they really want (at least that is what I believe and what I would want)
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 05-24-2013 at 04:29 PM.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

On memorial day I laugh, love, and BBQ so that there sacrifice was worth it. We fight so our country can live in peace. As I enjoy the long weekend from work they will be on my mind.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I am fairly new to this form and have been making post in the atheist and scripture threads. Now I know these are rough threads so to speak and I can accept that but the subject shifted to arguments about my signature as seen below. The disrespect for our women and men who paid the ultimate price has infuriated me and I must vent. I hope not all members of this form accept this sort of stuff and will let these individuals know so. Thanks for hearing me out.

God bless our women and men of the armed forces.

Wildman
    The price of freedom is not free.

Thread Information