Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: OCONUS

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default OCONUS

Sort of related to the "Retiring OCONUS" thread...

For those of you who were stationed overseas, what value did you get out of it? Did being overseas enlighten you? Did it cause you to take a more objective look at the U.S.? Perhaps it put a dent in any, "USA! USA! USA! We are #1!" feelings? Maybe it made you love the U.S. even more?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: OCONUS

I learned a great deal and appreciated the USA even more when I returned, both times. To be honest, I have no desire to go overseas again.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post

For those of you who were stationed overseas, what value did you get out of it? Did being overseas enlighten you? Did it cause you to take a more objective look at the U.S.? Perhaps it put a dent in any, "USA! USA! USA! We are #1!" feelings? Maybe it made you love the U.S. even more?
    Never been stationed at a "real" overseas assignment...been stationed OCONUS though. I have been deployed to other countries and visited other countries on my own.

I would have to say the experience of something outside 'my bubble' or my 'little world' probably started the shifting in viewpoints that led to where I am today...which is basically what you suggested...the US is not always #1 or always right and that we might have caused some of our own problems or even created some of them for our own self-interests.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    Never been stationed at a "real" overseas assignment...been stationed OCONUS though. I have been deployed to other countries and visited other countries on my own.

I would have to say the experience of something outside 'my bubble' or my 'little world' probably started the shifting in viewpoints that led to where I am today...which is basically what you suggested...the US is not always #1 or always right and that we might have caused some of our own problems or even created some of them for our own self-interests.
    What does that mean?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I was stationed in Thailand, England, three tours to Korea and been several different countries arouond the world. Each gave me a different outlook on what it is to be an American. England was always the place I wanted to visit as a child, but Asia is in the blood. I can say when it comes to family values compared to Asians, we've Amercans have lost some things over the years. Although I live in Korea, the US will always be home and great place to visit - not sure how long or any particular place I would prefer to live long-term. There are still too many places I want to explore.
    Gratitude is the cornerstone of happiness. It's all about noticing what's RIGHT in our lives instead of what's wrong!" MJ Ryan.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What does that mean?
    Alaska and Hawaii

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    Alaska and Hawaii

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As a teenager, the Air Force sent me to do something I would never have requested -- study a foreign language -- and then sent me to a country that had been very big in the news while I was in high school. That led to a lifelong interest in other countries, cultures and languages. I was always proud to be an American and glad that people in other countries respected and admired us even in places where their governments didn't. That part changed forever on January 20, 2001. No one can ever repair the damage of eight years of George W. Bush. We lost that respect and admiration even in the countries that are most inclined to be friendly. If I go abroad again, I won't do anything to publicize the fact that I'm an American.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    As a teenager, the Air Force sent me to do something I would never have requested -- study a foreign language -- and then sent me to a country that had been very big in the news while I was in high school. That led to a lifelong interest in other countries, cultures and languages. I was always proud to be an American and glad that people in other countries respected and admired us even in places where their governments didn't. That part changed forever on January 20, 2001. No one can ever repair the damage of eight years of George W. Bush. We lost that respect and admiration even in the countries that are most inclined to be friendly. If I go abroad again, I won't do anything to publicize the fact that I'm an American.
    This part might be true. Perhaps that is why President Obama decided to start killing American citizens with drone strikes. Maybe if we all were required to carry so-called "Photo IDs" with us at ALL times, the drones would leave us alone.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I'd have to disagree with you there, Bob. I've been overseas after January 20, 2001...in fact, I'm in the AFRICOM AOR right now. You know what? Africans, that's right Africans, have asked me on several occasions why "we got rid of George Bush for Obama." Go figure! They LOVED Bush. I know it sounds odd, but when you consider what his administration did for the people on this continent, I guess it makes sense.

Full disclosure: I don't believe Bush damaged our standing in the world any more than the current or previous administration. That's a line peddled by Democrats who wanted more power and ultraconservatives who didn't approve of Bush trying to govern from the middle. As far as our world standing is concerned, people who love freedom still love the USA no matter what. As for the others, as the younger generation says, "haters gonna hate."

Thread Information