Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Skills the AF No Longer Needs (or Doesn't Reward)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Skills the AF No Longer Needs (or Doesn't Reward)

1. Time Management: If you're not working late, you're not doing anything.
    2. Job Skills: Who cares if you don't know/do your primary job - that's what subordinates are for. They can do that for you while you're out volunteering. We need you on that bake sale committee.
    3. Leadership: Requires giving a $hit about your people. Remember that?
    4. Followership: Remember when every level used to exhibit this? Unless you're the President, you're at some level a follower. But today that doesn't seem to matter.
    5. Excellence in All We Do: became "Good Enough"
    6. Integrity: became "What I can get away with"
    7. Service before Self: Now "Self before Service" because the AF won't take care of you
    8. Chiefs: Now rare, replaced by E9 politicians
    9. Introverts: Not so much as skill but not rewarded. Heaven forbid you THINK before you act or act logically instead of emotionally. Introverts make up 60% of the gifted population - if you want to tap those skills you can't necessarily listen to the person that talks the loudest or first.
    10. Reality: Perception is now reality.
    11. Self-sufficiency: Trust that people will do the job is gone, replaced by helicopter leadership and micromanagment

All of these are traits or skills that the AF no longer seems to value, at least that I can see. Thoughts/additions? Am I off base? I think these will be the ruination of the NCO corps and by extension the AF, and it seems we're well on our way there.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Skills the AF No Longer Needs (or Doesn't Reward)

Eventually, the skills the AF no longer needs is us. We have been and always will be replaceable.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    1. Time Management: If you're not working late, you're not doing anything.
    2. Job Skills: Who cares if you don't know/do your primary job - that's what subordinates are for. They can do that for you while you're out volunteering. We need you on that bake sale committee.
    3. Leadership: Requires giving a $hit about your people. Remember that?
    4. Followership: Remember when every level used to exhibit this? Unless you're the President, you're at some level a follower. But today that doesn't seem to matter.
    5. Excellence in All We Do: became "Good Enough"
    6. Integrity: became "What I can get away with"
    7. Service before Self: Now "Self before Service" because the AF won't take care of you
    8. Chiefs: Now rare, replaced by E9 politicians
    9. Introverts: Not so much as skill but not rewarded. Heaven forbid you THINK before you act or act logically instead of emotionally. Introverts make up 60% of the gifted population - if you want to tap those skills you can't necessarily listen to the person that talks the loudest or first.
    10. Reality: Perception is now reality.11. Self-sufficiency: Trust that people will do the job is gone, replaced by helicopter leadership and micromanagment

All of these are traits or skills that the AF no longer seems to value, at least that I can see. Thoughts/additions? Am I off base? I think these will be the ruination of the NCO corps and by extension the AF, and it seems we're well on our way there.
    This sums up our brainwashed society in a nutshell. Hard Practicalism and making value judgements has been replaced with new age "subjective reality" feelings based decision making.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I got into a conversation about working hours the other day. Despite hard, verifiable, facts about the number of hours worked (more than any other peer), the amount of work produced (more than any other peer), and the quality of work (fewer mistakes than any other peer) -- the perception that the individual wasn't working hard won out since they "left on time every day". And this perception stuck even when all this was pointed out.

There is no interest in facts or logic anymore.
    The office I worked once myself and a fellow SSgt used to laugh and joke a lot during the day. The superintendent called me into his office and said he didn't think we were getting any work done. I asked him if we completed our work on time and he said yes. I asked him if the quantity and quality of work was at or above his expectations and he answered yes. I then asked him what the problem was and he couldn't answer it other than to say maybe he was the problem and not us. Perception versus reality without data directs most of what people believe.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    This sums up our brainwashed society in a nutshell. Hard Practicalism and making value judgements has been replaced with new age "subjective reality" feelings based decision making.
    I got into a conversation about working hours the other day. Despite hard, verifiable, facts about the number of hours worked (more than any other peer), the amount of work produced (more than any other peer), and the quality of work (fewer mistakes than any other peer) -- the perception that the individual wasn't working hard won out since they "left on time every day". And this perception stuck even when all this was pointed out.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The office I worked myself and a fellow SSgt used to laugh and joke a lot during the day. The superintendent called me into his office and said he didn't think we were getting any work done. I asked him if we completed our work on time and he said yes. I asked him if the quantity and quality of work was at or above his expectations and he answered yes. I then asked him what the problem was and he couldn't answer it other than to say maybe he was the problem and not us. Perception versus reality without data directs most of what people believe.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I remember the reading materials for Air Command and Staff College actually said good leaders didn't worry so much about having good technical skills for their mission area. Focusing too much on that was called a "Craftsman" style of leadership, which was inferior to the "Warrior" style of leadership, which best I could figure out had something to do with beating your chest, being good at PT, and doing carrier landings at the club.

Bottom line, being good at your job is not important, unless of course it's being a "good stick", in which case it's everything. Looking good is more important than being good.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chipotleboy View Post
    Looking good is more important than being good.
    We need to make this the new Air Force motto.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We need to make this the new Air Force motto.
    "Show me a guy who is afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time."~ Lou Brock . Ball Player

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chipotleboy View Post
    I remember the reading materials for Air Command and Staff College actually said good leaders didn't worry so much about having good technical skills for their mission area. Focusing too much on that was called a "Craftsman" style of leadership, which was inferior to the "Warrior" style of leadership, which best I could figure out had something to do with beating your chest, being good at PT, and doing carrier landings at the club.

Bottom line, being good at your job is not important, unless of course it's being a "good stick", in which case it's everything. Looking good is more important than being good.
    Yes, and looking good has ALWAYS been more important than being good or doing good. Very, very few in upper management - I won't call them leadership, the AF has almost no leaders to speak of - care about anything but the outside shine. As long as everything looks good and nobody's getting arrested everything is fine. And the rot spreads. Morale goes down, and you have things like SEVENTEEN missile launch officers being decertified. The bleats of "PT!" and "Bake sales!" continue, to increasingly uninterested ears. And everything will just go on and on, until it doesn't.

Thread Information