Thread: Retirement OS vs CONUS

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Retirement OS vs CONUS

I have decided to retire, having not been stationed in the CONUS for the last 16 years do you think it would be better for me to retire from the OS area or take a assignment to the CONUS and put in my papers as soon as I arrive?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Retirement OS vs CONUS

I've heard the processing is easier in CONUS. I'd probably head back then drop papers. That way you can house hunt, etc easier. But it depends on your situation, if it hurts your family then just outprocess overseas.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Used to be they would retire you at port, meaning you would be sent CONUS to outprocess etc. Now it is changed that you can retire OCONUS. The problem is all the support network for retirees is CONUS (VA, etc.). There are a few OCONUS VA facilities, but not sure how much they can do. It really depends where you plan on living post retirement. The process works smoothest (my experience) when you retire and continue to live in the same city (or state).
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Here is some info on the VA facility at Ramstein...

http://benefits.va.gov/PREDISCHARGE/...take-sites.asp

-BB-
    Don't thank me... Thank my recruiter!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I retired in Korea in August 1992. At that time, you had to get a waiver from AFPC (back then AFMPC) to retire in-country which was routed all the way through the wing king for signature. You would think that it would have been common sense not to send my family, myself and all of my household goods back to the states and turn around and send them right back to Korea. The military mindset at that time didn't really think that way. Things have changed significantly since then.

If you haven't already, make sure you start networking at least a year out to insure you have a job lined up. You will have to work if you want to maintain a certain quality of life and continue to save in the process. Fortunately, there is a VA office at Yongsan, so you can start working your paperwork with them for any disablitiy before your final day on active duty. One major drawback to living overseas, is that you receive TRICARE Standard, so any major injuries/illnesses requiring local hospitalization, you'll incur upfront costs. In other words, until they get the money, you're not getting out of the hospital. TRICARE will eventually get around to paying up to 75% percent of your bill. I know this from experience as I had to deal with this issue after being in the hospital for a heart procedure. I purchased addtional health insurance from my job to make sure I never have togo through the BS with TRICARE again.

All in all, after living here the last 25 years (active/retired), I wouldn't change a thing. It's been an interesting life after the military, and like they say: "Keep on doing what you're doing as long as your're having fun." Remember out departed comrades in arms this Memorial Day Weekend!!! I'll be one of the ODBs (old dirty bastards - Bob) down in Aragon Alley this weekend with an ice cold OB checking out the eye candy. Katchi-Kapshida!!!
    Gratitude is the cornerstone of happiness. It's all about noticing what's RIGHT in our lives instead of what's wrong!" MJ Ryan.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't know if it has changed, maybe 'Machine666' can help you, but when I was in the 'old country', if you used ANYTHING plane fights etc. you lost it a ALL when you did come home, 'CONUS' that is.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eman_osan View Post
    I'll be one of the ODBs (old dirty bastards - Bob) down in Aragon Alley this weekend with an ice cold OB checking out the eye candy. Katchi-Kapshida!!!
    Please do not be like 99.9% of the other ODBs on Aragon Alley who wear Harley-Davidson everything.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    Please do not be like 99.9% of the other ODBs on Aragon Alley who wear Harley-Davidson everything.
    Aragon Alley has been the ruin of many a poor boy.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not my style, although I know a bunch of them. Sure Max at the Dawg Pound will be having a BBQ. Stop on in.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    Gratitude is the cornerstone of happiness. It's all about noticing what's RIGHT in our lives instead of what's wrong!" MJ Ryan.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I retired from the Army several years ago, but in 2012 my wife and I decided to retire to the Philippines (Where she is from). We both love living there, we are on the Bataan peninsula where it is rural, peaceful and friendly.

The big drawback is Tricare-Overseas. I did not mind having to switch from Tricare Prime to Tricare Standard, and paying a deductible and copay, but Wisconsin Physician Service Insurance Company, the well paid contractors who where supposed to support the beneficiaries living overseas, DENY EVERYTHING.

My wife underwent a mastectomy, and I had to pay for everything up front. However we did go through a Tricare Approved Doctor, in a Tricare Certified Medical Treatment Facility. But, the Pathologists who conducted the biopsy readings-Claim Denied. Anesthesiologists-Claim Denied. Laboratory test-Claim Denied. Hospital Stay-Claim Denied.

If anyone knows of a lawyer with balls, please provide the info for me. The DoD turns a blind eye to this.

Thread Information