Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Retirement aka the reason you're in.

Tak Guest

Default Retirement aka the reason you're in.

Last edited by Tak; 05-23-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Retirement aka the reason you're in.

I get 2.5 hours of ADDITIONAL sleep EVERY work day!

-BB-
    Don't thank me... Thank my recruiter!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I feel free from the tyranny that was maintaining my waistline, and my 1.5 mile speed. I didn't mind PT, but say what you will, it is hard for a 40 something family man to maintain. Staying in shape and passing PT tests consumed me, and caused a huge amount of stress on me. More than the stress of leaving AD and having to find my first job after 26 years. I've added 15 pounds to my retirment weight the first year I was out, and have been at that without trying ever since. Those 15 pounds would have cost me had I had them while I was in.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I also have had to get accustomed to the people in my office actually taking what I offer as advice based on experience even though many of them have degrees!

Weird...

-BB-
    Don't thank me... Thank my recruiter!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So, when you retire... do you still get the guilty feeling whn the day is over and you know you didn't acomplish anything?
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I retired to a job as a contractor.

The only real downside is I don't feel the job security I did when active duty...can be cut at any time, especially when the contract re-competes. It's a bit nerve-wracking.

Inspections are more pressure, too.

Everything else is much better...especially being on an AF base and you still get emails for all the silliness the GIs have to put up with.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    I retired to a job as a contractor.

The only real downside is I don't feel the job security I did when active duty...can be cut at any time, especially when the contract re-competes. It's a bit nerve-wracking.

Inspections are more pressure, too.

Everything else is much better...especially being on an AF base and you still get emails for all the silliness the GIs have to put up with.
    I miss the people (ok, most of the people). I don't miss the silliness.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    You miss people or camaraderie or both? Do you have many friends outside military?
    I miss the people. I remember the camaraderie at Taegu and Rockville, Iceland and know I'll never see that again.

I've stayed in touch with a few friends from my AF days (tomorrow makes 6 years since I wore the uniform), but I've only been on an AF Base twice in that time. I have friends from work and friends from here in the neighborhood. It's different because all blue-suiters have a lot in common, not so much in this world.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Tip #7

Eat w/o PT worries

OK, now this picture made me smile and laugh.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My grandfather retired from the Air Force as a Staff Sergeant in the early 70s. His training and experience landed him a good job at Brown & Williamson (tobacco company), where he worked for another twenty years before retiring from there as well.

He bought a nice house (cash) on several acres of land that came complete with fields, pine tree woods, and even a creek. He owned a nice boat, two cars (one for grandma), a tractor, and all the toys/gadgets he desired. He was an extremely proud man and always spoke fondly of the Air Force and the military in general. When I joined, he told me that, so long as I enjoyed the service, I should stay until retirement...that the benefits of retirement were the greatest gift he got from putting his time in.

He spent the last thirty-odd years of his life in absolute enjoyment, comfort, and financial stability.

I wonder today how easy that will come for my generation and the generations after.

Thread Information