Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody from Tinker?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Anybody from Tinker?

Anybody here from Tinker (that can post)? I was there in 99, May 3 storm. Horrible damage down there.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Anybody from Tinker?

I don't know the geography of the area well, but I have a buddy in Chocktaw who said the storm broke up before it hit them. From visiting there 6-7 years ago, I believe Chocktaw is closer to Tinker than Moore is, but I could be very wrong.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    I don't know the geography of the area well, but I have a buddy in Chocktaw who said the storm broke up before it hit them. From visiting there 6-7 years ago, I believe Chocktaw is closer to Tinker than Moore is, but I could be very wrong.
    Moore, Oklahoma is about halfway between Tinker (Oklahoma City) and Norman (Oklahoma University) along U.S. 35. If you have ever driven to Texas through Oklahoma and wanted to avoid tolls (Interstate 44) then you have most likely been through Moore, OK. I have made the drive from Joplin, Mo to Dallas a few times. The speed limit on the Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44) was 75 so you could ussually drive 85 or so. If you wanted to avoid the tolls you could get off at 35 and go through several small towns like Moore but of course you had to slow down or you would get caught up in the speed traps.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

There are both pretty close, I think Moore might be a little closer to Tinker.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Moore, Oklahoma is about halfway between Tinker (Oklahoma City) and Norman (Oklahoma University) along U.S. 35. If you have ever driven to Texas through Oklahoma and wanted to avoid tolls (Interstate 44) then you have most likely been through Moore, OK. I have made the drive from Joplin, Mo to Dallas a few times. The speed limit on the Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44) was 75 so you could ussually drive 85 or so. If you wanted to avoid the tolls you could get off at 35 and go through several small towns like Moore but of course you had to slow down or you would get caught up in the speed traps.
    There aren't a lot of places for cops to hide on the tunrpike.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    There aren't a lot of places for cops to hide on the tunrpike.
    Very true. Last time I made that drive (around 2006) they had a solid concrete wall dividing the highway. When you are in the middle of Oklahoma sometimes exits can be 4 or 5 miles apart. I was crusing along about 90 when 3 others cars flew by me. I sped up to a little over 100 and the 4 of us drove most of the way from OKC to Dallas at about 100 MPH. At one point we passed a cop headed the other direction but he never bothered to turn around. There is no way he could have drove 4 miles the other way, turned around at an exit, then caught up with us going the other direction with an 8 mile head start. I love driving in Texas and Oklahome everyone speeds there.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Live in NW OKC and but lived in Moore during the May 3, 99 tornado. I work at Will Rogers Airport and got chased into a shelter yesterday as it went just south of us and slammed into Moore. The house that I sold in Moore is now gone, it just missed damage on the May 3rd tornado. The Briarwood school that got destroyed was just across the street from my old home fortunately all the kids made it out. Still have many friends in the Blue ID mafia and Tinker employees in Moore. So far I know of one who lost their house. I remember in 1999 doing a FOD walk on the Tinker flight line picking up pictures and checkbooks with Newcastle addresses on them which was over 20 miles away and pulling out insulation out of E-3 engine inlets. It was centralized in Moore and South OKC. I believe this is worst than the May 3rd tornado.
    I'm not the regular Crew Chief.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I live in base housing and didn't get any damage. There was a lot of hail, rain, and wind, but nothing crazy.

We are trying to get info on organizing a working party from the base to go help. No info as of yet.
    Cheers!

Dickie

----------------------------------------------------
    3S373 AF Manpower Requirements Analyst
    1P071 Aircrew Flight Equipment
    1T171 Aircrew Life Support

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    The blood thirsty news casualty body count of 51
    Hate that...at times it seems like they are hoping for more and bigger catastrophe.

Has been lowered to 24.
    My best friend lives in Moore...he's okay, but a bit shaken. Crazy damage.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    The blood thirsty news casualty body count of 51
    Has been lowered to 24.
    It is good to hear that the original estimates are off, regardless, the thought of the children in the elementary school absolutely breaks my heart. I held my children a little tighter last night when I tucked them into bed.

Thread Information