Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How much power does a Chief really have?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default How much power does a Chief really have?

So there's yet another debate in the shop. There's a guy that is trying to PCS to another base who is still "locked" due to a Base of Preference. Supposedly the Chief at MPF at the would be gaining base is trying to get him orders there. I (along with most people in on the debate) think that the Chief wouldn't have the authority to override the "locked" status and that it would need to be at least an o-6 or higher. What are everyone's thoughts here?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: How much power does a Chief really have?

What I'm thinking is the he would have to call in a favor to whatever commander is in charge right? It's not actually the Chief who posesses the authority.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Depends on if said Chief at the gaining MPF happens to know and is on good terms with the MAJCOM FAM for your guy's career field. If the bases he wants to go to are in the same MAJCOM and there are billets to be filled, it is feasible (note that I said "feasible" ... not "easy" or "likely to happen"). Crossing MAJCOMs would make it a little more difficult because now you have to drag in the MAJCOM FAM for the other MAJCOM too.

As has already been said, a lot gets done in the Air Force with horse trading behind the scenes.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Same MAJCOM. I'm sure there's a billet open because it's a C-5 base. (Travis)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

A Chief can't bend any rules, but their network is usually expansive enough to have folks on speed dial that can answer most questions in a a few minutes/a couple of e-mails. It's all driven by manning and MAJCOM averages/base-levels of the AFSC in question and PCS eligibility. The member and the Chief will get the same answer at the end of the process ... typically, the Chief will have it fairly quickly. Bending rules to hook a troop up aren't cool for many reasons, and the Chief's credibility is shot if they try and do so. This is the case in 95% of processes, the 5% of outliers are usually due to someone not following a process in error, not due to Chiefly Masonic winks and grips.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Many places in AFPC won't talk to you unless you're a chief. Unfortunately not all squadrons have a chief in them, so I had to let them no that before hanging up on me.
    I thought it was MSgt and above

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Many places in AFPC won't talk to you unless you're a chief. Unfortunately not all squadrons have a chief in them, so I had to let them no that before hanging up on me.

JD2780 Guest

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    They kept telling us Chief. It seemed excessive. We had 4 MSgts and we were trying to get info on BOPs since we were Code 50. Our MSgts were tdy just as often as we were considering we had 14 of us, ranging from MSgt to SSgt. Even if it was MSgt, we would have needed to run to one of them every other day to make a phone call to ask AFPC a question. Sometimes brain bytes need to be engaged.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

They kept telling us Chief. It seemed excessive. We had 4 MSgts and we were trying to get info on BOPs since we were Code 50. Our MSgts were tdy just as often as we were considering we had 14 of us, ranging from MSgt to SSgt. Even if it was MSgt, we would have needed to run to one of them every other day to make a phone call to ask AFPC a question. Sometimes brain bytes need to be engaged.
    I was assigned to a GSU base (they just considered the entire base on squadron) that had about 125 people. The highest ranking enlisted member was a MSgt. He served as the base first sergeant and also the "command chief". He worked on issues all the time with AFPC. He may have just had better connections than everyone else though.

An older Chief told me that AFPC will only talk to MSgt and above because they do not want some A1C from Minot calling all the time asking when he will get orders to leave. The funny thing is that the higher ranking people are probably worse than the lower ones about abusing the privledge and calling all the time for favors. I have also noticed that sometimes people try to use their chain of command when it is really not necessary. I have had shirts or chiefs call me at finance for very basic questions that anyone should know the answer too. For example I have had a shirt call me to ask how much BAH is for a single Amn moving out of the dorms. The shirt should have looked that up theirself but honestly so should the Amn.

Thread Information