Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When is an AF fix not really a fix? UDM “Special Duty”

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thumbs down When is an AF fix not really a fix? UDM “Special Duty”

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123349009

Classic inflated HQ fanfare for superficial paper shuffle with marginal local operational impact.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: When is an AF fix not really a fix? UDM “Special Duty”

How about reducing the amount of requirements needed to deploy? The amount of CBT's and checklists required to process the PRU line is staggering, and when you finally arrive at the deployed location, all they mostly ask for is your ID, 245's, medical records, CED/NATO orders and Information Protection/Assurance certificate to start your email account. We have been at war for 10 something years and in true AF fashion, are still constantly reinventing the wheel when it comes to deploying. It seems you have to visit every single base agency in order to deploy, and all they end up doing is signing your checklist without actually doing anything.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

A few questions:
    Is this an individual from the organization or is it some schmoe who is PCSing in to the unit?
    Are there specific requirements for training/experience? You can train any idiot to read a checklist, speaking to members of a career field in their language and gaining their trust is a whole different deal.
    Is this a "billet grab" by the 2G0XX career field? (8U = 2G??)
    Deployment planning is big picture; actually deploying is very unit/specialty-centric. Is the 8U coming from the same background (MX, Supply, SF, CE, etc.) or is it somebody who was a UDM at a different type of organization?

I saw deployments get harder every time. Right before I cross-trained in 99 I was in MRSP (new title for WRSK, and that's Mobility Readiness Spares Package and War Readiness Spares Kit, Bob ). Sending a handful of C-130s to Saudi, Oman and Kuwait should not have been that hard since it had been going on forever at that point. It went south of CHARLIE FOXTROT before the sun came up. Based on that, it must be a major undertaking to get across the street these days. This sh!t shouldn't be that hard, we been doin it forever!!
    Last edited by KellyinAvon; 05-18-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaze View Post
    How about reducing the amount of requirements needed to deploy? The amount of CBT's and checklists required to process the PRU line is staggering, and when you finally arrive at the deployed location, all they mostly ask for is your ID, 245's, medical records, CED/NATO orders and Information Protection/Assurance certificate to start your email account. We have been at war for 10 something years and in true AF fashion, are still constantly reinventing the wheel when it comes to deploying. It seems you have to visit every single base agency in order to deploy, and all they end up doing is signing your checklist without actually doing anything.
    +1. We've gone from a single sheet of requirements to 4 pages. None of which would be necessary if the excrement hit the rotational air circulating device and we all needed to deploy.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    +1. We've gone from a single sheet of requirements to 4 pages. None of which would be necessary if the excrement hit the rotational air circulating device and we all needed to deploy.
    That's because when the excrement is actually hitting the rotational air circulating device the main focus is to avoid being up the well-known tributary with no means of motivation.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    A few questions:
    Is this an individual from the organization or is it some schmoe who is PCSing in to the unit?
    Are there specific requirements for training/experience? You can train any idiot to read a checklist, speaking to members of a career field in their language and gaining their trust is a whole different deal.
    Is this a "billet grab" by the 2G0XX career field? (8U = 2G??)
    Deployment planning is big picture; actually deploying is very unit/specialty-centric. Is the 8U coming from the same background (MX, Supply, SF, CE, etc.) or is it somebody who was a UDM at a different type of organization?

I saw deployments get harder every time. Right before I cross-trained in 99 I was in MRSP (new title for WRSK, and that's Mobility Readiness Spares Package and War Readiness Spares Kit, Bob ). Sending a handful of C-130s to Saudi, Oman and Kuwait should not have been that hard since it had been going on forever at that point. It went south of CHARLIE FOXTROT before the sun came up. Based on that, it must be a major undertaking to get across the street these days. This sh!t shouldn't be that hard, we been doin it forever!!
    Basically it just reassigns people on the manning document. CC choses people from their unit, puts them on a fixed 2 year tour, and then slaps a SEI on them to scar for life. Deploying folks (just got done being a UDM) is a complete friggin mess. It really should be a 2 giggidy (2G0X1) job, but they'd have to either cross train about 4000 people or they can do as they are. This kind of job is a perfect canidate for a civ fill. They know the base, they get the training, stay, and wouldn't take an able body out of the deployment pool.
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So this will turn into a black hole where the perpetually pregnant, always injured, waiting for the MEB people be put so they dont have to deploy. Worst. Idea. Ever.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This isn't a huge change, UDMs are supposed to be in place for 24 months anyway but this doesn't always happen. I'm currently a UDM and hopefully these changes don't go into effect too soon because I'm trying to deploy to get out of the job.

I agree with a previous post that this should be handled by 2Gs or civilians but I'm pretty sure it comes down to money.

I assume they will WAPS test PDG only against all special duties, this would also be a huge disadvantage for me.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaze View Post
    I believe very few positions would be served best by being a GS. This is one of them.

And you right...it is RIDICULOUS the requirements to get out the door now.

What is even more annoying though is the inconsistencies with UDM's because of the minimal training and non-desire to be outside one's career fields.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    I believe very few positions would be served best by being a GS. This is one of them.

And you right...it is RIDICULOUS the requirements to get out the door now.

What is even more annoying though is the inconsistencies with UDM's because of the minimal training and non-desire to be outside one's career fields.
    They hired a GS at our unit.

Thread Information