Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do As I Say, Not As I Do? Or...?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Do As I Say, Not As I Do? Or...?

Mind your own business?

What's everyone's take on situations involving SNCOs/shop leads setting rules for everyone (for instance, report to duty no later than 0730), yet those same SNCOs/shop leads might bend the rules themselves (for instance, coming into work at 0800).

I know some agree that these people might do a lot behind the scenes or work late for their people (who don't see that) and thus are entitled to leeway (hence, mind your own business).

Others might agree that if you set the standard, then you must BE the standard.

Thoughts?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Do As I Say, Not As I Do? Or...?

My first duty station, I was on shore duty at NSB New London. After about a year there, we got a new OIC. Well, we owned the second floor of a three-story building; to which there were four entrances.

One entrance was right by the OIC's office.

We all had to be there at 0700 every workday; both military and civilian. Of course, the OIC always "CLAIMS" to hold himself to the same standard as he holds his people to. Of course, ANY Naval officer who says this is full of shit - and I accepted that officers will always have the "do as I say, not as I do attitude" - I accepted that, and I carried on.

But what I COULD NOT accept was that fact that coming in between 0830 and 0900 wasn't enough for this asshole. If he came into the building through the entrance right by his office, I wouldn't have given a damn. But he couldn't do that. He had to come in through the entrance way on the other end of the building, so he could walk past everyone - make everyone WATCH HIM come in whenever the hell he wanted - and smile at everyone and say "hi."

I get that he's above his own rules, and I accept that. But to rub it in our faces?

I was to the point where I was ready to pay a local to beat his ass. The only thing that stopped me, is that I don't think I could trust anyone not to snitch if they got apprehended.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 05-17-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When I was a SNCO, I prefered coming in early and leaving "on time" while other do the opposite. Are you sure these folks coming in late aren't also staying late?
    I've seen many in Sr leadership positions come in late, but staying (for whatever reason) long after everyone has gone home. When I was a TSgt, there was a MSgt who did that. Once he overheard someone complaining about him coming in late. He made that person stay late to "help" him on a project. They left at about 2030. Never heard another complaint about what time he came in.

Moral of the story; make sure you know the whole story before complaining.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    When I was a SNCO, I prefered coming in early and leaving "on time" while other do the opposite. Are you sure these folks coming in late aren't also staying late?
    I've seen many in Sr leadership positions come in late, but staying (for whatever reason) long after everyone has gone home. When I was a TSgt, there was a MSgt who did that. Once he overheard someone complaining about him coming in late. He made that person stay late to "help" him on a project. They left at about 2030. Never heard another complaint about what time he came in.

Moral of the story; make sure you know the whole story before complaining.
    Sometimes there is a valid reason for a different schedule but I think it should be explained to others in the section even though it is not their business. At one base everyone was supposed to work from 0730-1630 with an hour lunch. We had a SSgt who always came it at 0800 or a little later. I was one of other NCOs and I was always at work at 0730. One day I heard a few of my troops mention that it was not fair that this SSgt always came in at 0800 (he always stayed until at least 1700 but no one cared about that). I went to my supervisor (also his supervisor) just to check into it. My supervisor informed me that the SSgt's wife was also military. She was also supposed to work from 0730-1630. They used the CDC for their children's daycare. Since the CDC was on a different part of the base it was very difficult to drop children off and get to work by 0730 then get back to pick them up anywhere close to 1630. For those of you who do not realize the CDC allows 40 hours per week of childcare. After that the rates get really extreme. This SSgt had worked out a deal where he would drop the kids off at 0730 and arrive at work by 0800. His wife would go in at 0730 and pick the kids up at 1630. This saved them about $100 or more per week and it did not affect the mission at all because we did not have any customers prior to 0800 anyways. Once people realized the reason for him coming in at 0800 no one had a problem with it. Even though it was no one's business it does not hurt to let other people in the section know why someone might have a different schedule. Sometimes the reason can be personal and really is "none of your business" but when possible it should be explained to others if someone appears to be getting special treatment.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Sometimes there is a valid reason for a different schedule but I think it should be explained to others in the section even though it is not their business. At one base everyone was supposed to work from 0730-1630 with an hour lunch. We had a SSgt who always came it at 0800 or a little later. I was one of other NCOs and I was always at work at 0730. One day I heard a few of my troops mention that it was not fair that this SSgt always came in at 0800 (he always stayed until at least 1700 but no one cared about that). I went to my supervisor (also his supervisor) just to check into it. My supervisor informed me that the SSgt's wife was also military. She was also supposed to work from 0730-1630. They used the CDC for their children's daycare. Since the CDC was on a different part of the base it was very difficult to drop children off and get to work by 0730 then get back to pick them up anywhere close to 1630. For those of you who do not realize the CDC allows 40 hours per week of childcare. After that the rates get really extreme. This SSgt had worked out a deal where he would drop the kids off at 0730 and arrive at work by 0800. His wife would go in at 0730 and pick the kids up at 1630. This saved them about $100 or more per week and it did not affect the mission at all because we did not have any customers prior to 0800 anyways. Once people realized the reason for him coming in at 0800 no one had a problem with it. Even though it was no one's business it does not hurt to let other people in the section know why someone might have a different schedule. Sometimes the reason can be personal and really is "none of your business" but when possible it should be explained to others if someone appears to be getting special treatment.
    You're example is of a peer, not a supervisor.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

On another note, it's difficult to "mind your own business" in the military.

In the civilian world, we're not likely to monitor how long other people are working or when they come or go. For one thing, leave isn't in one day increments. You clock in and out of leave, and you're charged the number of hours and minutes accordingly - so, for all we know, our co-workers are just going on leave.

Ultimately, our mindset is simply to watch your OWN ass. It's the exact opposite in the military so, by nature, you are going to be all up in your co-worker's business.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As a supervisor, I never expected any more from my people than I did myself. Everyone knew the start and finish times for the duty day. If you needed to come in late, leave early, or had an appointment, just let someone know so we knew you were okay. I was blessed with good people and abusing the system was never an issue. And I saw much the same from my supervisors over the years.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    You're example is of a peer, not a supervisor.
    He was a supervisor just not my supervisor. In fairness to him I have no idea if his troops knew why he came in late or not. He was a pretty good supervisor so they probably did. The thing about it was that it helps squash rumors when everyone in teh workcenter knows what is going on. As I said in the example it really is none of anyone's business but if possible why not make it public knowledge. You might even have an Amn who was in the same situation but paying the extra $100 for childcare because they had no idea an alternate schedule was avaliable and they were too scared to ask.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As a supervisor I've never watched the clock. I don't care what time you come to work or leave. Just be on time for my meetings, meet suspenses and do your damn job.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I come in at varying times throughout the week and leave at varying times throughout the week. I overheard an Amn whining about it the other day, so I pulled him into the office. Not a scolding, just a "If you had a concern, why not talk to me?" I wanted to be sure they all felt I was approachable. I explained it to him and we pressed.

So...ummm, go talk to them and see if maybe they are working from home, coming in on weekends, working late. Maybe he was there at 0500 and he left to get breakfast and came back?

Don't be such a Negative Nelly. :P

Thread Information