Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Experts: Tape test has huge margin of error

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Experts: Tape test has huge margin of error

http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...e-margin-error

Please, tell me something I don't already know. This has been a problem long before I was in the Navy, and will still be problem for a long time. The Navy has heard complaints about the tape test for decades. If you couldn't make them budge 20 years ago, you're not going to be able to do it now. You probably won't even be able to do it 20 years from now.

Who benefits from this? The fatasses who are old enough to have a multi-chin that has become a part of their neck - which creates a neck that's thick enough to counter their beer belly, and put them right in standards.

I remember back in 2003, we had a fatass GMC who was well over 300 lbs. In the morning, when he got to the quarterdeck from walking down the pier; dude could hardly breathe. And his uniform was sweaty. Less than half-way through the day, he'd have a bad case of swamp-ass.

BUT... miraculously, he ALWAYS passed his PRTs. Even though the whole command watched him fail to finish the run every time.

Either the Navy needs to move to using calipers, or they need to do away with a body fat test altogether. If your body fat isn't stopping you from being able to do x number of crunches, y number of pushups, a running in z amount of time; then why should it matter in the first place? But if they feel that measuring body fat is an absolute must, then they need to use calipers.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 05-16-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Experts: Tape test has huge margin of error

if the whole command was watching him fail the run, how was he "Always passing the run?" Was someone fudging the numbers?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    if the whole command was watching him fail the run, how was he "Always passing the run?" Was someone fudging the numbers?
    No doubt. Had a gunny that used to get away with that too (turning around long before the half-way point)

In the case of Rusty's 300 pound guy - I'll bet he wouldn't pass an honest tape either. Wouldn't surprise me if they were fudging that too.

Point being - changing the rules isn't going to fix this issue - we need to fix enforcement. Start cracking down on leadership who let this happen.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Dude, when I was attached to the Kearsarge in 2005 with a MEU. There was this fat navy chick walking around and ALWAYS had a camelback on her, and her slurping on it. We thought it was water. But one morning she passed out while they were doing PT on the deck one day. They went to get some water out of her camelback, and lo and behold it held nothing but PUDDING. OMG, that day forward we always had a nickname for her "Pudding Chick".

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"Huge McDonalds error of margarine"!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    No doubt. Had a gunny that used to get away with that too (turning around long before the half-way point)

In the case of Rusty's 300 pound guy - I'll bet he wouldn't pass an honest tape either. Wouldn't surprise me if they were fudging that too.

Point being - changing the rules isn't going to fix this issue - we need to fix enforcement. Start cracking down on leadership who let this happen.
    Must be that once a month time joe, cause yet again you and me see Eye to eye..
    Personally i would also like to see charges brought against those who DO the fudging for their fellow 'officers/chiefs'. AND against those pushing others to do it too. I got my butt railed on by both my LPO, and my Div "o" one of the commands i was at, cause during two PRTs i failed someone on the push ups part. The first guy was being watched like a hawk (and was 3 away from the pass mark, but had i cheated for him, he would have called me on it), and the 2nd was over a dozen off. Flat out told them it matters not to me how good a worker they are, i do not fudge.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If you really want to enforce the rules, you need to have people outside your command administer the PRT. It should be a second class and an ensign. Keep the E-7's out of the equation. The second class isn't really worried about making E-7 at the time and the ensign doesn't have an loyalties to worry about. Or, you could go completely crazy and have civilians do it. Personally, I think it's a waste of time. If you started "working out" 2-3 weeks before the PRT, anyone in the Navy could pass. And if you couldn't, then you truly are out of shape and need to be discharged.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WINTHORP1 View Post
    If you really want to enforce the rules, you need to have people outside your command administer the PRT. It should be a second class and an ensign. Keep the E-7's out of the equation. The second class isn't really worried about making E-7 at the time and the ensign doesn't have an loyalties to worry about. Or, you could go completely crazy and have civilians do it. Personally, I think it's a waste of time. If you started "working out" 2-3 weeks before the PRT, anyone in the Navy could pass. And if you couldn't, then you truly are out of shape and need to be discharged.
    The ensign would have to be an LDO. I think any other ensign would be easily intimidated by senior officers.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"How about Retired folks doing it?"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobotChicken View Post
    "How about Retired folks doing it?"
    Negative Ghost Rider. That's why they call us RETIRED!

Thread Information