Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Odds of making OTS

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Odds of making OTS

I would like a realistic assessment on my odds of making OTS. Unfortunately I chose this path too late and am not a part of ROTC.

I am studying for a BS in electrical engineering with a 3.15 GPA. I have a decent amount of community service and am a varsity athlete. I participate in several engineering clubs that do community service projects. I would consider my prior work experience to be strong. I will be applying for a non rated but technical position.

I got my AFOQT scores back a few days ago and received the following:
    Pilot: 95 Navigator: 87 Academic Aptitude: 98 Verbal: 88 Quantitative: 97

From searching online I have seen a lot of mixed results about how competitive OTS is, ranging from 6% acceptance rates upwards to over 50%. Do the acceptance rates vary that much or am I very misinformed?

Any thoughts or questions are more than welcome!

-Gotrek

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Odds of making OTS

Saw they were looking for 'a few good missile silo officers' ready to snap to attention and nuke a billion people at the drop of a hat......

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't see myself wanting a family in the foreseeable future. I also think that the military can provide me with a lot of things that I am looking for such as (hopefully) interesting work, self discipline, and the ability to travel around the world, among other things.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Haha I heard about that debacle.

Tak Guest

Appears like your a decent candidate, but why not stay civilian, get a good job where you want to raise a family.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Seems like I accidentally posted twice. Sorry, new here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Haha I heard about that debacle.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

'BUFF' that 'SILO'.......

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gotrek View Post
    Seems like I accidentally posted twice. Sorry, new here.
    travel?

In 20 years Ive been to 3 bases.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gotrek View Post
    I would like a realistic assessment on my odds of making OTS. Unfortunately I chose this path too late and am not a part of ROTC.

I am studying for a BS in electrical engineering with a 3.15 GPA. I have a decent amount of community service and am a varsity athlete. I participate in several engineering clubs that do community service projects. I would consider my prior work experience to be strong. I will be applying for a non rated but technical position.

I got my AFOQT scores back a few days ago and received the following:
    Pilot: 95 Navigator: 87 Academic Aptitude: 98 Verbal: 88 Quantitative: 97

From searching online I have seen a lot of mixed results about how competitive OTS is, ranging from 6% acceptance rates upwards to over 50%. Do the acceptance rates vary that much or am I very misinformed?

Any thoughts or questions are more than welcome!

-Gotrek
    Pros: Your degree program is a highly-desired one in the USAF at the moment. You have community service and prior work experience under your belt. Your AFOQT scores far exceed the "minimum" required.

Cons: Your GPA is not competitive in regards to who else will be applying. You are attempting to get into OTS during a historically-low acceptance rate (in fact, weren't OTS boards for this year suspended?).

A friend of mine (Senior Airman) had a 4.0 GPA from her university in the field of biochemical engineering. Not only was she extremely involved in extra-curricular activities during her time in college (to include overseas charity projects during the summer) but she was also the poster-child of the "Whole Person Concept" once she joined the AF. She won a MAJCOM-level award, receieved a glowing recommendation from the Wing/CC, and she somehow managed to get her Senator to write her a letter of recommendation.

She applied twice, did not make it twice.

At least she gave it a go and it hasn't kept her down or dampened her spirits. She is now being sought after by the Army and the Navy (I had no idea the services head-hunted each other...?).

Just apply and see what happens. Best of luck.

Thread Information