Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best leader you ever met

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Best leader you ever met

The best leader I ever met was a group commander. This guy could smell bullshit and brown-nosers from a mile away. He would actually listen to everyone and often went to the lowest ranking person to ask what the problems in the workcenter were. He took input from the true workforce on how to improve and actually implemented quite a few ideas.

On another note...he would tell anyone and everyone quite bluntly if they were screwing up. He didn't go out of his way to find people screwing up but if he saw something he would call you on it. He didn't do mandatory group fun runs....but he made it worth it to go. They were typically on a Friday...and we would be off the rest of the day if we went. He was truly awesome. A few months after I PCS'd, I got an e-mail from him asking how I was doing at my new base. Another buddy of mine got an e-mail following his PCS as well.
    Insert clever quote here...

JD2780 Guest

Default Re: Best leader you ever met

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    The best leader I ever met was a group commander. This guy could smell bullshit and brown-nosers from a mile away. He would actually listen to everyone and often went to the lowest ranking person to ask what the problems in the workcenter were. He took input from the true workforce on how to improve and actually implemented quite a few ideas.

On another note...he would tell anyone and everyone quite bluntly if they were screwing up. He didn't go out of his way to find people screwing up but if he saw something he would call you on it. He didn't do mandatory group fun runs....but he made it worth it to go. They were typically on a Friday...and we would be off the rest of the day if we went. He was truly awesome. A few months after I PCS'd, I got an e-mail from him asking how I was doing at my new base. Another buddy of mine got an e-mail following his PCS as well.
    Had an awesome ops sup. Didn't want to make CMSgt. Had a legendary Olds type mustache and didn't get rid of it until he made SMSgt. He was an awesome JTAC and was a great SNCO. We had two great SNCOs in Hawaii. They were opposites but greatly respected each other as in conflicting philosophies but compromised quite often. Knipe however, taught us things that were so far outside the box, we had to see them to believe them. He was one of the 12 OA, had the AF let him, I think he could've ended Afghaniland in a week!! He is in a video at the armament museum at Eglin. This guy leg......endary.
    Last edited by JD2780; 05-15-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have four of them. One was my ROTC Commandant of Cadets. One was my last group commander at Goodfellow. One was my boss at Randolph. And one was my directorate chief at Randolph. They are my personal military heroes. To this day if they told me they were invading Hell and needed me along I would do so without hesitation, because I know they were issuing the order for the right reasons, they knew I would get the job done, and I knew they would take care of me. Furthermore, not only would these men do anything for you, three out of four of them were taking care of people while dealing with some pretty heavy personal issues of their own. I know one of them saved the life of one of my co-workers. Got him into alcohol rehab.

Great men. Great leaders. Great role models.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have two officers and one enlisted leader I would do anything for.

1. He was a major when became our CC. He was a former enlisted Recon Marine and loved anything to do with PT. We would go for company runs in the afternoons just for fun sakes at a moments notice. He has the bright idea of let's hike part of the Appalachian in NC and Tennessee. We had like 5 humps before it going from 5-20 miles apiece. We ended up on the hike and the ones of us who went and completed it had a hell of a time. It was tough but challenging. He even brought the BC on the hike and you could tell at the end of it that the BC was hurting really bad. But at the end of it we had a huge party and it was really fun.

2. He was a CWO2, which means he was former enlisted too. He was one of those guys who was just great in general and very down to earth. He was always struggling with making weight just like me. I remember one time I was getting taped and I was sucking in to try and make tape. The Gunnery Sergeant was trying to tell me not to suck it in, and my CWO2 came up and told me to do just that and suck it in. Needless to say the E-7 looked at him and looked at me, I sucked it in and made tape. He was a no bullshitter and knew what was going on in the platoon. We had a huge glut of Sergeants and only a few of us Corporals and 2 LCpl's. So we did the brunt of everything. He saw how much I was working and just gave me a day off in the middle of the week.

3. He was a GySgt who made MSgt when I was there and became our SNCO for our platoon. He was very down to earth and would NEVER make anyone do anything he would do or had not done in the past. We used to have wrestling matches with him in our bay and he would beat the crap out of us, but he would never say anything if he got beat. Hell he had arms as big as my head. We had a company mud obstacle course going on in preparation for Appalachian Trail hike above and he went of course. But our CWO at the time did not do it, but just showed up at the end of it in nice clean set of cammies, while we were wet and had mud coated on us. Later on that day another LCpl and myself got called in to the office with both of them. We got asked a couple of questions basically concerning what we thought about leaders who order us do stuff but never do it with us. It was awkward at the least.

Tak Guest

Shaken, your back, better than ever.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Shaken, your back, better than ever.
    Everything is down... Can't do anything other than surf the net.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Have not met on yet. I'm still waiting

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

E-8 'Senior Chief' on CVA-62 ISSC my Chief. On NAB Coronado my BMSC 'Boats' was the 'one in a million'! But that was in the late '70's and all had been in since '55.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My last wing CC. He would blast music out of his office and yell over it to talk to us, or find funny videos on youtube and make us gather around his desk to watch them. One time he was running about 15 minutes late to a meeting and walked past my desk to go to the conference room. He stopped, turned around and asked me how my husband's deployment was going. He had me write down my husband's email address at his deployed location on a piece of paper and give it to him. He also made it a point to schedule time on his calendar to welcome my husband back when he returned from his deployment.

He asked all the enlisted in the office when we were due to reenlist so he could be there, even if he wasn't performing the reenlistment.

I was on leave once when my mom was visiting and we were in the BX. The MAJCOM command chief was TDY here and they were touring the newly remodeled BX and my CC came over to me and my mom and introduced himself to her. He totally just ignored the whole group and the command chief and had a conversation with my mom. I thought that was the neatest thing ever. He cared about this base more than anyone I'd ever met since I've been here.

When he did his last change of command ceremony before he retired, when he gave the guidon to the new CC he actually reached out and touched it one last time and we could see him choking up. When he gave his farewell speech, he mentioned each one of his staff by the "call sign" he'd given all of us, and told each one of us how we impacted his time as the commander. You just don't get a leader like that. It can't be taught.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you arenít.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This is a nice thread, but I ask this, for you still on active duty. What are you doing to be the best leader someone ever saw? Are you making the effort? Are you willing to take the shot?

Thread Information