Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1 drink = DUI

Tak Guest

Default 1 drink = DUI

Last edited by Tak; 05-17-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: 1 drink = DUI

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    A federal agency is proposing that states lower the threshold for drunken driving to the point where a woman could be charged for driving after one drink and a man after two in a move officials say would save thousands of lives.

The National Transportation Safety Board recommended that all states drop the blood-alcohol level at which motorists can be charged with driving drunk to .05, down from the current rate of .08 that all 50 states impose. The threshold is a matter of state law, but the federal government can pressure states to meet its standard by threatening to withhold highway funding.

Break break

Is this not sexist?
    If it only applied to women and not men you could make the case. But the whole thing is a bunch of arbitrary BS anyway. I don't condone drinking and driving at all, but I have yet to see studies that show a person is impaired after 1 drink. DUI laws are meant to get people off the roads who actually are impaired and to deter those that would go drink a 6 pack and jump behind the wheel. This is but one more example of government overreach.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It will save a bunch of lives just like a gun ban will... Just look at Chicago; their gun ban worked.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    If it only applied to women and not men you could make the case. But the whole thing is a bunch of arbitrary BS anyway. I don't condone drinking and driving at all, but I have yet to see studies that show a person is impaired after 1 drink. DUI laws are meant to get people off the roads who actually are impaired and to deter those that would go drink a 6 pack and jump behind the wheel. This is but one more example of government overreach.

Respectfully, I'm going to disagree with your characterization... I would argue that the laws, as they are currently written, deterr those who are light to moderate drinkers then drivers. Those who would consume a six pack and then get behind the wheel are not thinking about the consequences of those actions anyway.

IMHO - since alcohol is a CNS Depressant. It stands to reason that any amount consumed impairs e consumer to SOME degree. That reasoning alone is enough to restrict the amount people can consume and be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

I don't see the big deal... If you drive, don't drink. If you drink, don't drive.

-BB-
    Don't thank me... Thank my recruiter!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BISSBOSS View Post
    Respectfully, I'm going to disagree with your characterization... I would argue that the laws, as they are currently written, deterr those who are light to moderate drinkers then drivers. Those who would consume a six pack and then get behind the wheel are not thinking about the consequences of those actions anyway.

IMHO - since alcohol is a CNS Depressant. It stands to reason that any amount consumed impairs e consumer to SOME degree. That reasoning alone is enough to restrict the amount people can consume and be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

I don't see the big deal... If you drive, don't drink. If you drink, don't drive.

-BB-
    You forgot "If you don't drive, drink"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Best solution is if you drink don't drive, once you start drinking you are not in a position to judge whether you can drive...and the drinking brings its own flawed logic, well just another one and I will be OK, its been an hour. The trouble with our laws is nobody wants to hurt the bar's business. My understanding is that in Europe people drink a lot, I've been told a whole lot, but they never drive after they drink. People rarely go to bars to have one drink, I know some do, but usually people end of drinking more than they will even admit to themselves. Limits will never work for the population as a whole, sure for some individuals. Better to have a policy once you drink you cannot drive.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BISSBOSS View Post

-BB-
    No, because light drinkers wouldn't blow over the limit. If they do, then they by definition not are not light drinkers. Every time you see a show (Cops, Alaska State Troopers, etc) the response to the question of how much they had to drink is "1 or 2 beers" (i.e. light drinker) yet they can't pass a breathalyzer or a field sobriety test (i.e. they were lying). And from real studies I've seen where they actually put someone behind the wheel in a closed course, alcohol only begins to affect reaction time, motor function and decision making well after 1 drink. I ask to see a single study that shows 1 drink will make you impaired to any degree. If that is the case as you suggest, then why not make the law 0.00?
    Last edited by grimreaper; 05-15-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tiredretiredE7 View Post
    You forgot "If you don't drive, drink"
    Concur...

That DOES take it to the logical conclusion!

-BB-

Tak Guest

ok, the sexist part...Why women 1 drink and men 2, is this assuming the burly guy and tiny women theory?
    What if there's a tiny dude and some husky chick...your telling me the big chicks 1 is the same as itsy
    bitsy teenie weenie guys???
    Last edited by Tak; 05-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    No, because light drinkers wouldn't blow over the limit. If they do, then they by definition not are not light drinkers. Every time you see a show (Cops, Alaska State Troopers, etc) the response to the question of how much they had to drink is "1 or 2 beers" (i.e. light drinker) yet they can't pass a breathalyzer or a field sobriety test (i.e. they were lying). And from real studies I've seen where they actually put someone behind the wheel in a closed course, alcohol only begins to affect reaction time, motor function and decision making well after 1 drink. I ask to see a single study that shows 1 drink will make you impaired to any degree. If that is the case as you suggest, then why not make the law 0.00?

Not sure when you last looked but it would seem that even a cursory google-search yields information to support impaired abilities after 1-2 beers for an average size man.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0919065955.htm

Here's a quick read on just such a study done at Texas A&M in 2002.

And for the record - 0.00 is just fine with me... And I love my bourbon and red wine!

-BB-

Thread Information