Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever gotten in trouble for something and thought WTF?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Have you ever gotten in trouble for something and thought WTF?

Many years ago when my daughter was a baby she had to have tubes put in her ears and her adnoids removed. My supervisor decided that I would have to take leave for this. Instead of arguing I just did the paperwork. Since he told me the day before surgery I had to walk it through the chain and that included getting the Commander to sign off on leave with less than 3 days notice.

The Commander asked why I was taking short notice leave and I explained what it was for. He told me that it was not leave but an appointment...which I knew...and sent me back to my shop.

By the time I got back my supervisor was on the way out the door to go see the commander about why he was going to charge me leave.
    When he got back he wrote me an LOC for breaking the chain of command.

All LOC's went up to the Shirt and Commander. So my rebuttal read something to the effect of I answered a question asked by the Commander and felt that integrity and honesty were important when dealing with the Commander.

He still sent the LOC up. The Commander then called all of us up to find out what the hell was going on. I ended up with a new section and new supervisor after that because he felt that there were too many personality conflicts between my supervisor and me.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Have you ever gotten in trouble for something and thought WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Doesn’t sound like you got into trouble at all, sounds like your supervisor was made to look like a bit of an ass. No WTF moment there.
    The ass chewing I got and the LOC before the CC destroyed it was my WTF moment. I was wondering what the hell I was supposed to have done when the CC asked a question.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Many years ago when my daughter was a baby she had to have tubes put in her ears and her adnoids removed. My supervisor decided that I would have to take leave for this. Instead of arguing I just did the paperwork. Since he told me the day before surgery I had to walk it through the chain and that included getting the Commander to sign off on leave with less than 3 days notice.

The Commander asked why I was taking short notice leave and I explained what it was for. He told me that it was not leave but an appointment...which I knew...and sent me back to my shop.

By the time I got back my supervisor was on the way out the door to go see the commander about why he was going to charge me leave.

All LOC's went up to the Shirt and Commander. So my rebuttal read something to the effect of I answered a question asked by the Commander and felt that integrity and honesty were important when dealing with the Commander.

He still sent the LOC up. The Commander then called all of us up to find out what the hell was going on. I ended up with a new section and new supervisor after that because he felt that there were too many personality conflicts between my supervisor and me.
    Doesn’t sound like you got into trouble at all, sounds like your supervisor was made to look like a bit of an ass. No WTF moment there.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I do not want to give too many details because it would give away who I am. Here is the short story though. I was assigned to an overseas base. Since I was new to the base I did not know many people. I wanted to go out for a beer and dinner so I chose a restaurant in town which I knew military frequented. I went by myself and had a beer then stuck around for Karaoke. Around 1000 at night I was standing outside smoking talking to a girl when some random bar patron blindsides me with a beer bottle. I had to go to the hospital and get 6 stitches and I also had a slight concussion. The next day my supervisor and I had to report to the commanders office. The commander wanted to know why I was out drinking and did not have a wingman. I kept trying to explain I was the victim here and the commander kept threatening punishment. I had to get ADC involved before the commander finally backed off. Apparantly if you get suckered punched it is your own fault even if you did nothing to provoke it. Also I should have had a wingman there evn though a wingman would not have chnaged anything at all.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I do not want to give too many details because it would give away who I am. Here is the short story though. I was assigned to an overseas base. Since I was new to the base I did not know many people. I wanted to go out for a beer and dinner so I chose a restaurant in town which I knew military frequented. I went by myself and had a beer then stuck around for Karaoke. Around 1000 at night I was standing outside smoking talking to a girl when some random bar patron blindsides me with a beer bottle. I had to go to the hospital and get 6 stitches and I also had a slight concussion. The next day my supervisor and I had to report to the commanders office. The commander wanted to know why I was out drinking and did not have a wingman. I kept trying to explain I was the victim here and the commander kept threatening punishment. I had to get ADC involved before the commander finally backed off. Apparantly if you get suckered punched it is your own fault even if you did nothing to provoke it. Also I should have had a wingman there evn though a wingman would not have chnaged anything at all.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    The ass chewing I got and the LOC before the CC destroyed it was my WTF moment. I was wondering what the hell I was supposed to have done when the CC asked a question.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Mine was when I was completely and totally blindsided by a 4 EPR. My supervisor was happy with my work and I heard nothing but praise. Then my super got ahold of it. When I asked why I was getting a 4, and what I could do to improve, I was told that I should already know why and the fact that I didn't know what I needed to do meant I was a bad TSgt & that he expected SrA to know that. No feedbacks, btw, at any point in the reporting period, documented or otherwise. I also got into trouble for that, too, since I was supposed to tell people I wanted a feedback.

I still have absolutely no idea what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure it was a personality conflict since I've never had a problem before or since. Luckily I PCSd shortly after that. Odd thing was, that year was the most I've ever worked in the AF. I poured in the hours and got the job done. By any objective measure, I should've gotten a 5 and been lauded. I've never worked that hard again and I never will. It's not worth it if some @ss can use the system like that and get away with it.

When I got to my next base, I was like an abused wife, cringing whenever I was spoken too and scared of my own shadow. Thank goodness for my OIC and CC there. They restored a lot of my faith in the system and my self confidence.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Mine was when I was completely and totally blindsided by a 4 EPR. My supervisor was happy with my work and I heard nothing but praise. Then my super got ahold of it. When I asked why I was getting a 4, and what I could do to improve, I was told that I should already know why and the fact that I didn't know what I needed to do meant I was a bad TSgt & that he expected SrA to know that. No feedbacks, btw, at any point in the reporting period, documented or otherwise. I also got into trouble for that, too, since I was supposed to tell people I wanted a feedback.

I still have absolutely no idea what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure it was a personality conflict since I've never had a problem before or since. Luckily I PCSd shortly after that. Odd thing was, that year was the most I've ever worked in the AF. I poured in the hours and got the job done. By any objective measure, I should've gotten a 5 and been lauded. I've never worked that hard again and I never will. It's not worth it if some @ss can use the system like that and get away with it.

When I got to my next base, I was like an abused wife, cringing whenever I was spoken too and scared of my own shadow. Thank goodness for my OIC and CC there. They restored a lot of my faith in the system and my self confidence.
    I love this!

It reminds of that trial they put Charlton Heston on in Planet of the Apes.

Tak Guest

Worked in a shop, small, a MSgt, ssgt and two sra, I was one of the sra
    MSgt tried to deny ssgt and sra leave together, because if they died in crash
    Our shop would stay 50% manned.

Tak Guest

Was giving an a1c a 5 epr, smsgt giving him a 3:
    We agreed to disagree, sq had meeting never talking
    To me, result was I better change my rating or my next
    Epr would be knocked down. My TSgt boss, I was
    Sra at time came in screaming and sent me to ig to
    Talk, in case they followed through with threat.
    Also shirt asked I was gonna fall on sword for guy,
    I said hell yeah. Guess whole sq was surprised ole tak
    As a sra was taking on smsgt.
    Note, must have impressed smsgt, cuz he gave
    Glowing recommendation for a special duty job.

Thread Information