Thread: Leave Web 4.0. Lesson Learned

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Leave Web 4.0. Lesson Learned

In my office, leaves and PTDYs are rather common. Once or twice a year I take a PTDY to play hockey with no issues whatsoever. Before the new leave web, I would manually fill out the 988 and have my office superintendent (SMSgt) OK it who would then give the Division Chief (Col) a courtesy check and I would give my supervisor a heads up. Then I would rout it through the proper unit channels in order to get it signed off by the section commander (Lt Col). With the new leave web, PTDYs are now submitted through there.

I have had a house hunting PTDY projected on the office calendar for months. I discussed it with my supervisor when the superintendent was absent, and he was fine with it. When the time came near, I submitted it through the leave web system. It was approved by the section commander and I went on my merry way to secure off base housing in the vicinity of my next duty station.

When I return, I find out that my superintendent is super pissed off that I took this PTDY without him knowing. But, like I said, I discussed it with my supervisor.

I figured that leave web, sort of like the manual system, would require shop level approval prior to being submitted to the commander. It appears that when you request a PTDY, your supervisor and only your supervisor gets a courtesy email and nothing more before being submitted to the approval authority.

Am I at fault for not communicating this PTDY to my superintendent? Is my supervisor at fault for not communicating it to him? Is he at fault for not asking me or my supervisor about my projected PTDY that's been on the calendar for months?

I don't think I'm in any trouble, I just think he's really pissed off with me. He's gone this week and I'm gone half of next week so hopefully he'll forget about it. It's not like I went AWOL.

Thoughts?
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Leave Web 4.0. Lesson Learned

We had a couple of similar situations. Really just due to the fact that no one knew how the new Leaveweb worked until the boss got a couple of PTDY requests.

I just have my guys tell me about any requests they are going to put in about a month in advance, and then send that to my super, who in turn emails an OK to the commander. That way no one feels like that have been blindsided. And it sounds like a lot, but really it's just, "Hey, SrA so-and-so is headed to a softball tournament--I have no issues with it."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Honest oversight due to the way the new system worked. If it was on the calendar I wouldn't have gotten steamed over it as the super.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The way I see it you are responsible only to notify your supervisor. It's up to him/her to decide who else needs to know. So whether leave web is screwed up or not is inconsequential. If the Sup has an issue he needs to take it up with your supervisor.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The way I see it you are responsible only to notify your supervisor. It's up to him/her to decide who else needs to know. So whether leave web is screwed up or not is inconsequential. If the Sup has an issue he needs to take it up with your supervisor.
    I agree with you. The only people who are required to see the form are the people who have to sign it. If there is a space for member, supervisor, and commander those are the three people required to see the form. If the commander requires other people to see the form before he/shesigns it then the commander needs to draft a policy letter stating that. Any notification given outside of the mandatory signatures is strictly a courtesy and nothing more.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not the same situation with leave...but I missed a PT test a few years ago. I was in a car accident the evening before and in the ER until 4 AM. I called my supervisor and let her know. Then about three days later I get called into the Shirts office along with my supervisor about why he didn't know I missed my PT test and why didn't I tell him.

I called my supervisor who SHOULD have upchanneled this issue. Turns out no one even knew I had been in the accident. The whole time I am being chewed out by the shirt my supervisor just sat there. Finally when I got the chance to speak up I turned to my supervisor and asked if I should tell him of if she wanted to tell him.

It seems to me when leadership is not informed of an issue their first stop should be the supervisor....and then let the supervisor handle it from there if they didn't know what was going on. And as a supervisor if you have failed to upchannel information...you should just take the heat.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Not the same situation with leave...but I missed a PT test a few years ago. I was in a car accident the evening before and in the ER until 4 AM. I called my supervisor and let her know. Then about three days later I get called into the Shirts office along with my supervisor about why he didn't know I missed my PT test and why didn't I tell him.

I called my supervisor who SHOULD have upchanneled this issue. Turns out no one even knew I had been in the accident. The whole time I am being chewed out by the shirt my supervisor just sat there. Finally when I got the chance to speak up I turned to my supervisor and asked if I should tell him of if she wanted to tell him.

It seems to me when leadership is not informed of an issue their first stop should be the supervisor....and then let the supervisor handle it from there if they didn't know what was going on. And as a supervisor if you have failed to upchannel information...you should just take the heat.
    I think the problem stems from people in the chain of command thinking they should be privledge to information they have no business being a part of. Why would a shirt need to know you missed your PT test? Last time I checked the unit PTL and supervisor are responsible for making sure you attend your PT test. In teh situation you mentioned the shirt is most likely the person who recieved the miseed PT test notification. At that point they should give the notification to your supervisor and let them handle it. There is absolutely no reason for your shirt to be involved in this issue at all.

The AF has a major issue with shirts trying to be involved in every single issue. I remember one time when our superintendant gave a new shirt quite the ass-chewing. The Chief passed an EPR to the shirt for their signature. The shirt tried to edit the EPR and make corrections. The Chief came back and let the shirt know that a shirt's only part in the EPR process is to review the PIF and make sure that any derogatory information is noted. Other than that a shirt has no input on the content of the EPR. That Chief let the shirt know that he better not ever put red ink on an EPR.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I should add to this that my supervisor talked to me this morning to tell me that the super was quite upset with me. Turns out that my supervisor assumed that I told the super because of how it was done in the past. Like I said, it was projected on the calendar for months. I know the super goes in there daily and checks it. Nobody said anything until I was already gone. Anyway, I'm not sweating it. It was all legal like, my supervisor knew. I did nothing wrong.

Also, just to give you some background, we all work in the same office.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This upgraded system doesn't let the individual cancel leave either. The old system would let you. Now you have to have the leave monitor do it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

You should have sent an email informing the entire base and MAJCOM. How else can those above you in the chain of command nanomanage what is going on with everyone?
    Five Meters of Voided Space.

Thread Information