Thread: Any here from the 1980's and before stationed at remote radar sites in Alaska?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Any here from the 1980's and before stationed at remote radar sites in Alaska?

I think I may have posted in it before, but couldn't find it. For the past year I've worked as a contractor at the sites. Most of the sites tore down the old composite buildings in the 1980's and replaced them with smaller buildings or domes to house 20-30 people. But there's rarely more than a dozen people at the site at any given time

So far, I have been to Tin City (the old building constructed in the 1960's is still in use), Cape Lisburne, Fort Yukon, Tatalina, and presently at Cape Romanzof on the west coast.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Any here from the 1980's and before stationed at remote radar sites in Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by jondstewart View Post
    I think I may have posted in it before, but couldn't find it. For the past year I've worked as a contractor at the sites. Most of the sites tore down the old composite buildings in the 1980's and replaced them with smaller buildings or domes to house 20-30 people. But there's rarely more than a dozen people at the site at any given time

So far, I have been to Tin City (the old building constructed in the 1960's is still in use), Cape Lisburne, Fort Yukon, Tatalina, and presently at Cape Romanzof on the west coast.
    Riveting Leibowitz. Anybody ever been to the Denny's in Gilbert, Arizona? Rainmaker stopped in for coffee one night during a roadtrip in 2009 and thought the pancakes were really fluffy. Post some hot ass white Wimmins. NomSayin??

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Any here from the 1980's and before stationed at remote radar sites in Alaska?

I drove in the Empire AFS in upper MI, a couple of years back on a camping trip. It was deserted. Lots of familier looking old buildings...understand it is all automated these day and under FAA control.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I remember flying to Healey AFS and other little radar sites in Alaska from 1980-83. I also flew in and out of Galena on a S&R mission. All of them looked like Nazi prison camps from WWII. I didn't know the Air Force had a site at Fort Yukon. I flew in and out of there numerous times during S&R missions. Unfortunatley, all of my rescues were for dead people. I got really tired of hauling dead people killed in airplane and helicopter crashes. Five of them were killed/drowned in fishing/hunting accidents. 90% of the people in Alaska hate the military, especially in Fort Yukon, Talkeetna, Tok and Bettles. Many military personnel when I was stationed there, had their cars vandalized in Fairbanks because of the military sticker or out of state license plates.

JD2780 Guest

In anchorage they love the military and I don't know when the last time you were in Fairbanks but its welcoming environment up there now. I love that place and my inlaws are up there. They love it. I have a bunch of buddies up in Fairbanks and they have nothing but nice things to say about everybody. Every one that goes up there tries to extend or ipcot.

You're the first person I've ever heard say anything negative about it. Different experience.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

How about the German POW camps in VA BEACH??

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse19 View Post
    I remember flying to Healey AFS and other little radar sites in Alaska from 1980-83. I also flew in and out of Galena on a S&R mission. All of them looked like Nazi prison camps from WWII. I didn't know the Air Force had a site at Fort Yukon. I flew in and out of there numerous times during S&R missions. Unfortunatley, all of my rescues were for dead people. I got really tired of hauling dead people killed in airplane and helicopter crashes. Five of them were killed/drowned in fishing/hunting accidents. 90% of the people in Alaska hate the military, especially in Fort Yukon, Talkeetna, Tok and Bettles. Many military personnel when I was stationed there, had their cars vandalized in Fairbanks because of the military sticker or out of state license plates.
    My first post-military job, or at least while I was on terminal leave was working in Galena for Alaska Fire Service as a cook. Easy money! Lived on the old Air Force base in some musty, mosquito-ridden dorms from the 1970's and rode a bike to work each day. That town has only some 500 people, but a beautiful new clinic, school, and indoor pool! The rest of the town outside the base is totally bush Alaska, not even an AC store. Fort Yukon was a craphole and many of the natives there don't like white folks. Talkeetna got connected to the highway system just some 30-40 years ago, which changed the face of it. Don't know about Tok, but Delta Junction doesn't look at all like a military town, despite the Army Base there. Never heard of Bettles

Thread Information