Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custodian Sues School Over English-Only Signs

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Custodian Sues School Over English-Only Signs

http://www.examiner.com/article/hisp...e-english-only

"The employees’ beef? That signs on the campus are in English only. This circumstance has created a particular hardship for custodian Bertha Ribota, who claims she was injured at work because she couldn’t read a warning sign that was in English."

Can we assume that none of these non-English speaking employees drive a vehicle to and from work? I'd love to have that question answered.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Custodian Sues School Over English-Only Signs

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. I think if a business or public institution is going to hire Spanish-only employees, then they should also ensure the signs are bilingual.

However, I'm raising an eyebrow about the story because warning signs are designed so they can be understood by anyone, regardless of literacy. But what exactly was the sign in question, and how did the injury occur? The image linked in the article is a "slippery when wet", but there is nothing in the article itself that states that the employee slipped on a wet floor. What happened?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by drc100882 View Post
    Can we assume that none of these non-English speaking employees drive a vehicle to and from work? I'd love to have that question answered.
    The non-english speaking, when taking a "english only" written drivers exam do not necessarily read as much as they recognize what is on the exam.

In other words, they sit with a interpreter, and drill what is on the expected exam.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Personally i feel we spend to much time catering to the speaking/reading requirements of everyone else. You work for a US company, speak English.

JD2780 Guest

How about they learn English. That simple.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I am with Joe on this one. I know it is hard to believe. But I find it hard to believe as well. Almost all signs nowadays when printed are in both Spanish and English. Also it is pretty hard to miss one of those signs unless someone was being negligent and/or just ignoring them. Plus most of these signs have that little stick figure guy which makes it hard to miss what it is doing.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would love for it to be English only. But I know that's not the case in the real world.
    Last edited by CYBERFX1024; 05-12-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Personally i feel we spend to much time catering to the speaking/reading requirements of everyone else. You work for a US company, speak English.
    Just out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind this? Many countries have multiple languages - why not us? Is it because we're one of the very few countries on Earth too lazy to learn a second language?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

That they do.. Heck when i grew up in england you had to take 3 years of at least one foreign language.. BUT back then you also had to speak/read/write the language of the country you wanted citizenship in.. These days we seem to cater to those who speak everything else.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That they do.. Heck when i grew up in england you had to take 3 years of at least one foreign language.. BUT back then you also had to speak/read/write the language of the country you wanted citizenship in.. These days we seem to cater to those who speak everything else.
    So why is this exclusively an American problem? What are we doing wrong that other bi-lingual countries are doing right?

Thread Information