Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Vanishing NCO

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default The Vanishing NCO

We have a new NCO in our shop. Sent to us from another shop. Rumor had it that he would just vanish. I thought...I will give it a week and see how it goes. Wednesday the civilians in the shop started a stopwatch to see how often he is out. I shit you not...3 hours 21 minutes not including lunch. So that means about half the day he was gone wandering around and no one knew where he was.

Then I told him yesterday that if he was leaving the office he needed to let someone know if he was going to be gone more than a few minutes. Well...he told one of the civilians who is about to retire and doesn't really care. Yesterday he went to the bank, shoppette, and then another shoppette visit. Total time out of office not including lunch 3 hours 13 minutes.

Today we are already over 2 hours not including lunch.

I am not the NCOIC nor his supervisor...but I do outrank him and I am about to throat punch him.

Rant over.

Anyone else have a vanishing NCO/Airman/GS?
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: The Vanishing NCO

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    We have a new NCO in our shop. Sent to us from another shop. Rumor had it that he would just vanish. I thought...I will give it a week and see how it goes. Wednesday the civilians in the shop started a stopwatch to see how often he is out. I shit you not...3 hours 21 minutes not including lunch. So that means about half the day he was gone wandering around and no one knew where he was.

Then I told him yesterday that if he was leaving the office he needed to let someone know if he was going to be gone more than a few minutes. Well...he told one of the civilians who is about to retire and doesn't really care. Yesterday he went to the bank, shoppette, and then another shoppette visit. Total time out of office not including lunch 3 hours 13 minutes.

I am not the NCOIC nor his supervisor...but I do outrank him and I am about to throat punch him.

Rant over.

Hmmm? The case of the Vanishing NCO. This sounds like a job for ........

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Rant over.

Knew a guy that would sit on the toilet for 2-3 hours per day.

Of course, then when he gets set straight he goes telling everyone outside the shop that his supervisor is such a prick that he actually monitors potty breaks, etc.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    At once or multiple trips? We had a guy - now discharged - who used to fall asleep in there. You'd see these feet sticking out from under the stall door and hear snoring.
    Once in the morning, once in the afternoon....but never during break or lunch periods

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yep. I don't mind an errand here and there - mission permitting - but some people take it to extremes.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This other shop that traded him, did they get a BBQ grill or some guy who is a projected gain in 18 months about to go to Kunsan?
    Yeah, this guy needs his attention got. He has a history of this so the "cool and subtle" approach may not work. This may require going R. Lee Ermy.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Rant over.

You just described about 80% of the government workforce whose goal it is, is to do the least amount of work and stay away from the office the most.

I'm surprised we don't have an award for it yet, oh wait...we do...we call it "Amn, NCO, SNCO of the Quarter/Year."

And we still spend a $1,000 for the plaques when there is no money and people are running around without proper PPE.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Knew a guy that would sit on the toilet for 2-3 hours per day.

Of course, then when he gets set straight he goes telling everyone outside the shop that his supervisor is such a prick that he actually monitors potty breaks, etc.
    At once or multiple trips? We had a guy - now discharged - who used to fall asleep in there. You'd see these feet sticking out from under the stall door and hear snoring.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Rant over.

When I arrived at my first base I was the disappearing Amn. I had a civilian supervisor who had never supervised military before let alone a brand new Amn. I also had a pointless job that if I did what I was supposed to actually interferred with the mission instead of helping it. I starrted testing the boundaries by coming in a few minutes late. No one seemed to care so 0735 turned into 0745 and then 0805 and sometimes even 0830. I also normally went to lunch at 1100 and would not come back until about 1330 (great time for a nap at the dorms). Then after that I would leave at 1500. I think I was normally at work for about 3-4 hours at the most. No one really cared except those meddling military from other sections and their damn dog.

Another good story is when I was at Izmir Turkey. We had a small base in one town and then a NATO base in another that we supported. Some people had a mission at both places while others only worked at one or the other. Since the mission was slow no one had a problem with doing PT during the day and there was a small gym both places. Every time I went to the gym at NATO I would see this very ripped Navy guy working out. He seemed to be in there all the time. One day I didn't get a chance to go to the gym at NATO but I went in the afternoon at the other base. I saw the exact same guy there working out. I did some asking around and apparantly he was Navy. His NATO supervisor was ok with him working out because it was slow. So was his other supervisor. Neither of them knew that he spent the majority of his time at the gym. Both supervisors were clueless about his activities at the other base. I have to assume that when this guy was not working out he was here on AFT Forums posting as PTGOD.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

We had one at my last base. Not really sure where he was all the time but he was never at the shop.

Now, I am that guy, though I do retire soon. I'm getting a good 2 hours in per day, most days.

Thread Information