Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wish I would have packed/prepared _________ on my last deployement

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Wish I would have packed/prepared _________ on my last deployement

Packing again, time to review even small regrets:

Freshly purchased running shoes
    An extra hard drive with all my music, not just whatever 40gb was already on my player
    A better laptop rather than the one I packed (maybe something w/ more than 30 seconds of battery life)
    Good headphones
    Books I've always meant to read
    Photographs and video in violation of GO1
    Nice insoles for shoes/boots
    Ankle, knee, and wrist wraps
    Good quality shower shoes and shower/travel container
    Carabiners... more Carabiners
    Whatever chapstick astronauts use

What have you forgotten or fell short with in the past?

Tak Guest

Default Re: Wish I would have packed/prepared _________ on my last deployement

Sorry, never deployed

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Running shoes: Road Runner Sports can't be beat for selection, shipping speed, and return policy. They ship to APO addresses too, no problem.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I hear ya'...20 years in CE and never did the desert (other than Kuwait for 90 days) and never did Korea. Almost unheard of.

I didn't purposely avoid these things, just the way my assignments worked out. Some people think I should feel guilty about it but I don't. Not even a little bit.
    Yeah, I've never heard of that in CE. I've got 16 years in and deployed 9 times and a Korea assignment. Not knocking you, just picking my jaw up off the floor.

What did you do, back to back short tours, instructor duty, etc?
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Considering that the deployed AAFES/NEX somehow manages to have better stuff than my homestation and that amazon delivers to APO/FPO Ive never left wanting.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Sorry, never deployed
    I hear ya'...20 years in CE and never did the desert (other than Kuwait for 90 days) and never did Korea. Almost unheard of.

I didn't purposely avoid these things, just the way my assignments worked out. Some people think I should feel guilty about it but I don't. Not even a little bit.

Tak Guest

Holloman
    Minot
    Peterson
    Minot

Retirement

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Yeah, I've never heard of that in CE. I've got 16 years in and deployed 9 times and a Korea assignment. Not knocking you, just picking my jaw up off the floor.

What did you do, back to back short tours, instructor duty, etc?
    First assignment was Combat Comm, we went to South America (94-96). Then I went to Guam, short tour. After that I was at Travis for 2 years and the unit I was in (AMOS) didn't deploy. From there I went to Mildenhall (99-03). We weren't part of the AEF, was humanitarian missions only, so went to Cameroon. Then I was an instructor from 03-07. Went back to Mildenhall. Was supposed to deploy twice but both got cancelled. Did Kuwait for 90 days backfilling a guard slot. Then I came to Beale. Part of an Intel Group that is "deployed in place". So just the way the assignments fell.

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    First assignment was Combat Comm, we went to South America (94-96). Then I went to Guam, short tour. After that I was at Travis for 2 years and the unit I was in (AMOS) didn't deploy. From there I went to Mildenhall (99-03). We weren't part of the AEF, was humanitarian missions only, so went to Cameroon. Then I was an instructor from 03-07. Went back to Mildenhall. Was supposed to deploy twice but both got cancelled. Did Kuwait for 90 days backfilling a guard slot. Then I came to Beale. Part of an Intel Group that is "deployed in place". So just the way the assignments fell.
    Around 95 I was on call for Iraq when they ammassed troops on border. 02 they didn't take us with bombers to England deployment.
    Soon after soft tasked to afghan. Then in 06 went to missile wing. Whole career worldwide deployable.

JD2780 Guest

Deployed 3 times in a 4 year period. Wish I hads were more medicated powder, fresh chew, extra laptop chargers, more double A batteries.

Thread Information