Thread: Obama chimes in

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Obama chimes in

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...528_story.html

Sounds to me like the next guy who gets convicted of a sexual offense...may have a pretty good appeal based on undue command influence, no?

Undue command influence? Not until he tries to influence a case.

The events of the last few days, especially the efforts to keep the Lt. Gen. Susan Helms story secret, convince me that the Air Force isn't yet willing to act on sexual assault. It's damn well time the commander-in-chief weighed in. But a lot more needs to be done. It won't happen but I hope the Senate rejects Helms.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Obama chimes in

President Obama to bluntly warn the Defense Department that he expected its leaders to take tougher action against sex offenders and redouble their efforts to prevent such crimes.
    “The bottom line is, I have no tolerance for this,” Obama told reporters. “If we find out somebody’s engaging in this stuff, they’ve got to be held accountable, prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court-martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged — period.”
    Sounds to me like the next guy who gets convicted of a sexual offense...may have a pretty good appeal based on undue command influence, no?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Is that an all-inclusive list or just stuff they can cherry pick from as a punishment?
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you arenít.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post

The events of the last few days, especially the efforts to keep the Lt. Gen. Susan Helms story secret, convince me that the Air Force isn't yet willing to act on sexual assault. It's damn well time the commander-in-chief weighed in. But a lot more needs to be done. It won't happen but I hope the Senate rejects Helms.

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post

Dammit!!! I want President to weigh in on 6 month EPR and PT AC review!
    Last edited by Tak; 05-07-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    maybe...but don't you think the next case to come along, or maybe the current one, will be influenced by all this? I honestly don't know the ins and outs of command influence, but I didn't think the chain of command could recommend punishments and all that...or does that only apply to specific cases?

I noticed they don't mention the case when they talk about her...other than to say "a capt."....although the congresswoman referred to the victim seeing him around base and "having to salute him"...so apparently it's a Capt. assaulting an enlisted, or a Lt.

Nevertheless, hard to say what should happen when I don't know anything about that case...other than she appears to be an impressive, well-respected woman.

I think we sort of forget that once a case goes into trial...most of the rules of the trial are set-up to protect the rights of the accused, and that's off-putting to victims and victim-advocates.

Thread Information