Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RFD Correct? What Sequester?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default RFD Correct? What Sequester?

I hate to admit it (OK I really don't hate it) but RFD may have been onto something a few months back about the sequester. While civilians may still be furloughed, it's looking, to me anyway, that may NOT. We are again being told the sequester notices are on-hold. Also, there are two articles in this week's AF Times in regards to money being well spent. The first article mentions Kessler as the AF CINC Best Base Award winner of $1M. They are now moving onto the DoD selction process. The second article mentions how the AF, through the Chaplain corps, will still sponsor/fund marriage retreats. In fact, at WPAFB, the local Chaplain office is sponsoring a weekend retreat to The Great Wolk Lodge. Recent returning deployers or those about to deploy have first crack at it. I believe the people who sign up have to pay for lodging, but all other costs are covered. Where is this money coming from? Where is CMSAF Cody's comments on how that Best Base money could be used elsewhere, like operation flying squadrons? So, as I stated in my first line, Mr. Dorr may have been on to something.
    Last edited by Mcjohn1118; 05-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: RFD Correct? What Sequester?

I think in some cases you have to look at when the money was allotted. We just started a small renovation on my building, and everyone asks how we can pay for it right now. Well, the money was alloted to us in 2010 and we've been in contract negotiations since. Things like the marriage retreat might be something where the money was already there, allotted for that specific event.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you arenít.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjohn1118 View Post
    I hate to admit it (OK I really don't hate it) but RFD may have been onto something a few months back about the sequester. While civilians may still be furloughed, it's looking, to me anyway, that may NOT. We are again being told the sequester notices are on-hold. Also, there are two articles in this week's AF Times in regards to money being well spent. The first article mentions Kessler as the AF CINC Best Base Award winner of $1M. They are now moving onto the DoD selction process. The second article mentions how the AF, through the Chaplain corps, will still sponsor/fund marriage retreats. In fact, at WPAFB, the local Chaplain office is sponsoring a weekend retreat to The Great Wolk Lodge. Recent returning deployers or those about to deploy have first crack at it. I believe the people who sign up have to pay for lodging, but all other costs are covered. Where is this money coming from? Where is CMSAF Cody's comments on how that Best Base money could be used elsewhere, like operation flying squadrons? So, as I stated in my first line, Mr. Dorr may have been on to something.
    It is pretty common knowledge that the longer the DoD waits for Furlough notices the less likely they are to happen at all. I went to an all call last week with the Deputy Assistant SAF for FM (what a long title). When furloughs were brought up her best guess (off the record) was around 8 days is what will likely happen. In my opinion though even those 8 days will not happen. People will continue to publicly move the date and everytime it gets close we will magically find money somewhere. You also have to realize that right now we are in May which means we only have 4 months left in the fiscal year counting this one. The reason furloughs were threatended in the first place is because of the piss poor way sequestor was implemented. Everyone in the DoD assumed they could use political pull to block it. This mean that when spending guidance came out at the start of the year the guidance was to spend as normal. The closer it got to sequestor the more people started worrying. That is when they threatened furloughs which was the highest visibility thing they could find. Congress basically called their bluff and now the DoD has backed down slowly but surely. At the begininng of next Fiscal Year everyone will be operating off this year's budget. Knowing youd budget in advance allows you to plan around things like a furlough. I agree with RFD that furloughs will not happen but the effects of sequestor have been seen at some smaller level across the DoD.

Tak Guest

Rfd is never right
    Last edited by Tak; 05-08-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Actually, I was wrong. I really thought no one would experience much inconvenience. Now, just ask my friend who's a vendor at air shows which have been cancelled all over the country. Among his products is "MISSION TO TOKYO." The Federal Administration figured out a way to reduce the pain by playing the game. The Air Force? Not so much.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

RFD is indeed the wise sage of the forum and seldom misses the mark on much. But, the Gwyneth Paltrow comment got Rainmaker scratchin his head. The Woman is a Goddess Bob!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Before H.R. 933 was signed, I had heard that the big question was the Army in regards to the furlough. Everyone else felt confident that they could keep their civilians from losing out at all. One of the concerns was how does the Army tell it's civilians they'll lose days while nobody else does? I suspect this is no longer a concern, and OSD has worked with the Army to make sure their civilians will be taken care of, as will the rest of the services civilians.

Furthermore, I think we may have gone a little too far to save a buck or two and once again many of us will find ourselves with more than enough money at the very end of the year, yet there will be some serious difficulties executing all of it. That's not to say our spending wasn't a little out of control, but we may have swung back a little too far in the opposite direction.

Most of you should be seeing your ID soon if you haven't already. Your MAJCOMs should have received theirs from SAF/FM already (I believe it happened this past Monday), so it should be filtering down fairly soon. On the down side, many of your units will only have 2-3 months to execute what you get, and that's not taking your Contracting Offices timelines into consideration. Good luck.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Got.too.respect.our.elders............

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    RFD is indeed the wise sage of the forum and seldom misses the mark on much. But, the Gwyneth Paltrow comment got Rainmaker scratchin his head. The Woman is a Goddess Bob!
    Her holier-than-thou, lifestyle-of-the-rich, I'm-better-than-you attitude doesn't affect her looks but her looks seem to have affected your brain. She's a skag. A skag, I tell you.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shove_your_stupid_meeting View Post
    Before H.R. 933 was signed, I had heard that the big question was the Army in regards to the furlough. Everyone else felt confident that they could keep their civilians from losing out at all. One of the concerns was how does the Army tell it's civilians they'll lose days while nobody else does? I suspect this is no longer a concern, and OSD has worked with the Army to make sure their civilians will be taken care of, as will the rest of the services civilians.

Furthermore, I think we may have gone a little too far to save a buck or two and once again many of us will find ourselves with more than enough money at the very end of the year, yet there will be some serious difficulties executing all of it. That's not to say our spending wasn't a little out of control, but we may have swung back a little too far in the opposite direction.

Most of you should be seeing your ID soon if you haven't already. Your MAJCOMs should have received theirs from SAF/FM already (I believe it happened this past Monday), so it should be filtering down fairly soon. On the down side, many of your units will only have 2-3 months to execute what you get, and that's not taking your Contracting Offices timelines into consideration. Good luck.
    I am not at liberty to post details publicly but I agree with you. Some of the programs I was looking at are taking up to a 40% cut even though the sequestor was nowhere close to that amount. A lot of squadrons will get most of their money back. The problem is that it will almost be too late and iit will be a mad rush to spend it. Like I said above if they would have just given us a budget to start the year it never would have been a probelm.

Thread Information