Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice to the military spouse

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Advice to the military spouse

What advice would you give a military spouse?
    What things really irritate you at work?

Things like...Don't call 50 times. Be polite when you call. Don't sit in the parking lot all day like a psycho. Don't wear a dress that doesn't fit to an official function.
    Insert clever quote here...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Advice to the military spouse

Don't get drunk at the holiday party and salute the CC. My ex actually did this.
    “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    What advice would you give a military spouse?
    What things really irritate you at work?

Things like...Don't call 50 times. Be polite when you call. Don't sit in the parking lot all day like a psycho. Don't wear a dress that doesn't fit to an official function.
    It is NOT your paycheck it is HIS/HER paycheck. I understand that you may be the person who handles the budget at home but that does not mean you are allowed to come in to finance and TRY to make pay adjustments. Have you ever heard of a WAL-MART spouse dropping by payroll to make changes? No? Didn't think so! Now move out of the way so I can help someone who actually works for the DoD.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't call me and tell me that it's unfair that I made your husband work on the weekend. It's none of your damned business. Regardless if he's scheduled to work or not I'll make up a story about how he took leave to meet with friends. The ensuing argument will almost always prevent the spouse in question from overstepping her boundaries again.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't sleep with someone in the squadron while your spouse is deployed and don't tape the incident either. Also, don't call your spouse every hour on the hour.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't hang up when I answer your spouse's phone line in the office. I know your number... I know its you. Also, don't call back right away after you hang up on me. Again... I know its you.

Don't come to an office potluck and sit at your spouse's desk while eating. We invited you because we like you. If you didn't want to talk to us, you should have stayed home.

Don't be scared to talk to my husband. You can even make eye contact with him. I won't hate you for talking to him. Really - it's ok.

If I see you offbase and I'm out of uniform, it's ok if you don't remember who I am. My leadership hardly recognizes me when I'm not in uniform (some even still look at my nametag when I'm in uniform). I'll remind you of my name and how you know me. I don't mind. But ignoring me is rude, even though you keep making eye contact with me and smile at me.

I'm not flirting with your husband. I have my own husband to flirt with. If we're laughing about something that happened at work, we're not flirting - we're laughing about something that happened at work.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't lie to defend your spouse being court-martialed for sexual assault simply to save his retirement benefits for your personal gain.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't use your husband's subordinate as a dance pole at the squadron holiday party, even if it is during a dance contest. This happened a few years back. The husband stood like stone while his wife gyrated all over his subordiante, who was plainly uncomfortable with whole situation.

In that vein...you reflect your spouse & he or she will get into trouble if you screw around on base (or off base overseas). If you screw up and they don't get promoted you don't get that higher check, either. If you work to support your spouse it increases their chances for promotion.

Don't cheat on your spouse while they are deployed. If you want to leave them, fine, wait until they return.

Don't expect me to give your spouse time off so the both of you can take a child to a routine appointment. One or the other of you can take little Jimmy or Susie to the dentist.

Don't call me complaining your spouse is on night shift for the ORE. I don't care. He or she was selected due to work related reasons, not due to your problems.

Also don't call me complaining I picked your spouse for deployment. See the above.

Please DO call me if you need support while your spouse is deployed. I can't help if you don't let me know you need it.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Stay as far away from the military as possible. Don't get involved in spouses clubs. Don't go to squadron functions. Don't ask for a tour of your husband's/wife's work center. You don't want to know. All you'll see during these times is the Commander/shop lead/etc kissing ass and trying to look as good as possible in front of the spouses. The best way to get involved with people from the shop is away from work.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Never ever forever try to use your spouse's rank

Thread Information