Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Combat ready?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Combat ready?

Is the Air Force anywhere near ready for a near-peer war with a developing nation-state like Iran or North Korea? One that has an air defense system and double-digit surface to air missiles?

Or does everybody just need a rest?

How is combat readiness affected by constant deployments, the endless war in Afghanistan, the aging of our equipment, the morale of the troops?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Combat ready?

The AF is ready...all the BS would go out the window and the AF would be all business. In fact, I think the AF would be better off for it since we would play a huge role. So let's get it done...we've pampered to NKs demands long enough.
    Last edited by BRUWIN; 05-05-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Is the Air Force anywhere near ready for a near-peer war with a developing nation-state like Iran or North Korea? One that has an air defense system and double-digit surface to air missiles?

Or does everybody just need a rest?

How is combat readiness affected by constant deployments, the endless war in Afghanistan, the aging of our equipment, the morale of the troops?
    No the AF isnt ready. It is getting back to it, but it is still lacking. When I would bring my students the range, the aircrews would hate the days of high threat low altitude tactics and coordinating SEAD on targets. The crews like just sitting up at 14k plinking targets with 12s and 38s while simulating strafing mud huts and soft skin vehicles. Most JTACs are in the same mentality, and I would always attempt to break that but when they go back to their unit they would fall back into the old ways. People have forgotten the ways of CBUs. More crews thing they can go toe to toe with many SAM systems when they would be destroyed by them. As far as air to air goes, I'm sure its much of the same. Flying against the same guys with the same habits and techniques. Its redundant and predictable. In short, no we arent ready because we've trained for todays fights and not tomorrows.

Tak Guest

After Bru, Shrike, KellyinAvon and others on here retired like me, the readiness
    Rate dropped .0000000000000000000000000000002%
    Last edited by Tak; 05-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    After Bru, Shrike and others on here retired like me, the readiness
    Rate dropped .0000000000000000000000000000001%
    Glad you didn't lump me in with that; from what I've read around here Big Blue has gone to hell in a hand basket since 22 May 07.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    No the AF isnt ready. It is getting back to it, but it is still lacking. When I would bring my students the range, the aircrews would hate the days of high threat low altitude tactics and coordinating SEAD on targets. The crews like just sitting up at 14k plinking targets with 12s and 38s while simulating strafing mud huts and soft skin vehicles. Most JTACs are in the same mentality, and I would always attempt to break that but when they go back to their unit they would fall back into the old ways. People have forgotten the ways of CBUs. More crews thing they can go toe to toe with many SAM systems when they would be destroyed by them. As far as air to air goes, I'm sure its much of the same. Flying against the same guys with the same habits and techniques. Its redundant and predictable. In short, no we arent ready because we've trained for todays fights and not tomorrows.
    Oh man JD, that's a lot of acronyms, abbreviations, and other terms. Bob might be having a seizure.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    After Bru, Shrike and others on here retired like me, the readiness
    Rate dropped .0000000000000000000000000000001%
    Actually...it jumped way up when I came back as a GS now that I'm doing things I should have been doing all along. Yeah...I do miss conducting "visible white socks when in PT gear" patrol while deployed but that goes without saying.
    Last edited by BRUWIN; 05-05-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    Actually...it jumped way up when I came back as a GS now that I'm doing things I should have been doing all along. Yeah...I do miss conducting "visible white socks when in PT gear" patrol while deployed but that goes without saying.
    Are you’re the Bagram Batman?

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Are you’re the Bagram Batman?
    I think your right...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes, the Air Force, and US Military in general, are perfectly capable of kicking the snot out of NK or Iran today if needed.

Furthermore, NK and Iran are not "near-peers", not even close.
    "Chief, I have never been, or ever will be, a Warrior.
    Doesn't matter how many times you make me say it, it will never be true."

Thread Information