Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Corpsman "C" Schools manning level?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Hospital Corpsman "C" Schools manning level?

Any Hospital Corpsman expert around here? I have a burning question.

So far, I have the understanding that "C" school is not guaranteed for everyone. On my contract, I'm only guaranteed "A" school as an HM. However, I do desire to specialize in either surgical technologist or cardiovascular technician.

My question is: what is the availability of these "C" school specialties? In other words, are these specialties under or over manned? Can you please provide me with a reputable source that confirms this?

Let's assume I ace "A" school and get my druthers.

JD2780 Guest

Default Re: Hospital Corpsman "C" Schools manning level?

So it's safe to assume you aren't even a corpsman yet?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HospitalCorpsman View Post

So far, I have the understanding that "C" school is not guaranteed for everyone. On my contract, I'm only guaranteed "A" school as an HM. However, I do desire to specialize in either surgical technologist or cardiovascular technician.

My question is: what is the availability of these "C" school specialties? In other words, are these specialties under or over manned? Can you please provide me with a reputable source that confirms this?

He's probably DEP. I suggest that he concentrates on graduating boot camp.

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    He's probably DEP. I suggest that he concentrates on graduating boot camp.
    That's what I was getting at. Step A) get to boot camp. Step B) graduated boot camp.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    That's what I was getting at. Step A) get to boot camp. Step B) graduated boot camp.
    I don't know what the wash-out rate of their "A" school was, when I was in, but most every "doc" that I met was first rate.

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I don't know what the wash-out rate of their "A" school was, when I was in, but most every "doc" that I met was first rate.
    Yea I've never ran across a bad corpsman.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The wash out rate for the Corps school, back when I attended it, was 50%. Add on the wash out rate for basic training.

That is the reason that the only thing that can be promised is a TRY at becoming a Corpsman, after, if you are good enough to make it through basic.

If it's still the way it was, IF you have completed basic AND you have completed Corps school. you will be given a chance to either go attend field med school, or you might stay on the Navy side.

Field med training is to prepare one for serving with the Marines.

After you have finished with the basic Corps school, when it is time to reenlist near the end of your contract is when it is time to get into a new field within the Hospital Corps.

You have things to prove to the Navy before it is going to let you into an allied health field.

I hope that this helps.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HospitalCorpsman View Post

Generally speaking, "C" school opportunities vary due to pre-requisite test scores, quota availability, fleet demand and fiscal year funding. My recommendation is for you to contact the HM C school detailer directly, who can give you the latest info on application process and availability. The HM C School Detailer can be reached at 901-874-3808 or 901-874-3322
    Last edited by CaliMC; 05-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Yea I've never ran across a bad corpsman.
    I've run across "bad" corpsmen, but very few. Junior HM's go to hospitals for their initial tour, where the bad apples are identified and removed. Some less than stellar performers still make it to the fleet, but overall they do a good job of thinning the herd when necessary.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would suggest that you get a shot of penicillin. Very soon, when you think, that burning sensation will disappear quickly.

Thread Information