Thread: Despite sequester, DOD signs contract for $59/gallon green jet fuel

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Despite sequester, DOD signs contract for $59/gallon green jet fuel

What Sequester?

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel recently warned that sequestration would cause “suspension of important activities, curtailed training, and could result in furloughs of civilian personnel” but the spending cuts haven’t killed the green fuels program, as the Pentagon has continued purchasing renewable fuel at $59 per gallon.

“In March, Gevo entered into a contract with the Defense Logistics Agency to supply the U.S. Army with 3,650 gallons of renewable jet fuel to be delivered by the second quarter of 2013,” Gevo announced this week in its first quarter financial report. “This initial order may be increased by 12,500 gallons. All shipments will be at a fixed price of $59 per gallon during the initial testing phase. These shipments are in addition to the renewable jet fuel supplied to the U.S. Air Force (USAF) and the U.S. Navy (USN).”

Conventional JP-8 jet fuel costs $3.73 a gallon, according to the Defense Logistics Agency.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/pentag...rticle/2528692
    Last edited by Demaskee; 05-03-2013 at 06:39 PM.
    I've upped my standards so up yours.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Despite sequester, DOD signs contract for $59/gallon green jet fuel

Things like this show the effects of sequestration are political.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VFFTSGT View Post
    Things like this show the effects of sequestration are political.
    This this this!!!

As an example. The way they are breaking up spending in my command in obscene. We get a set amount now each month. Then at end of the month supply comes around and asks what we want, not need. I have a brand new "computer case" (the combat ready back pack that's used in Afaganistan) and two brand new sets of boots "just in case" over the last couple months. WTF?

I did ask or want any of this shit but was handed it anyway. I pay taxes too and it grinds my gears.

Of course next will be a 25 million study that ends up being 50 million and save about a "buck fiddy" (damm Loch Ness monster)
    Last edited by Vrake; 05-04-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Green fuel costs more than conventional JP-8 because it is in low volume production. This purchase is in support of a research activity to develop a capability to fuel the fleet should we no longer have access to Middle Eastern oil. When production volume ramps up, unit price will come down.

People screamed the same thing about why are we spending so much money on JP-8 when JP-4 is cheaper.

Also, people like to make this an "Obama" thing, but this research was going during the Bush administration.
    Last edited by chipotleboy; 05-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." -- Peter Clemenza.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I wonder if the plans to build a refinery near Malstrom AFB to turn coal into fuel are still in place.
    I'm not the regular Crew Chief.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Venus View Post
    I wonder if the plans to build a refinery near Malstrom AFB to turn coal into fuel are still in place.
    Coal is a dirty word, regardless of how clean it has become with advances in modern power technology. If you are a "green" company then you don't even want the word coal near you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtS View Post
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I want to figure out a way to make money off this green energy movement.

Of course I don’t want to actually do any hard work or come up with an idea that actually saves resources.

I am thinking more along the lines of designing a logo for the Air Force that promotes green energy.

Like a little bean sprout leaf and a smiley face sun logo to put on all of our jets, that way the Air Force can pay me a tidy sum of money and the public can see the bean sprout and smiling sun and feel good.

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I want to figure out a way to make money off this green energy movement.

Of course I don’t want to actually do any hard work or come up with an idea that actually saves resources.

I am thinking more along the lines of designing a logo for the Air Force that promotes green energy.

Like a little bean sprout leaf and a smiley face sun logo to put on all of our jets, that way the Air Force can pay me a tidy sum of money and the public can see the bean sprout and smiling sun and feel good.
    Do like the AF, spend 300,000 on a contractor like they did to design the af symbol.

Thread Information