Thread: What's wrong with that picture?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default What's wrong with that picture?

Bob Bectel, a Democrat on the news show "The Five" says that there are 75,000 foreign students in America on student visas. Of that 75,000 there are 15,000 students not enrolled and are somewhere in this country illegally. he wants a two year moratorium on allowing students into the country so that we can find these students and deport them.

From personal experience I know for a fact that, already, each time a semester, or quarter starts the college, or university knows when classes start which student is not enrolled and notifies the federal government that the student is not enrolled and the federal government cuts off the funds to that student the very day they get notified. The government knows where they sent the checks to so they can go to that address and scoop up the illegal student with the expired visa and deport him or her.

Now, how could I know this and be so sure of those actions the government can take? Simply because as a Veteran in college under the Vietnam Veterans G I Bill I worked as a "Work Study" in the Registrars Office during my entire college studies. As each quarter started I sat at a computer and looked up every Veteran enrolled in school and whether he had registered for the present Quarter. If he had not enrolled on registration day and had not attended the first day of class the veterans Affairs Office was notified and the check did not arrive for that veteran at the end of the month.

If the government's Department of Veterans Affairs can act that quickly on the report of a $7.00 an hour Work Study student I simply don't understand why this very same government will not require colleges and universities to notify them when a student here on a visa does not sign up for a class at the start of a new quarter, or semester. Many of those students receive cash aid, or other form of assistance from the government so the government should know where to look. At the very minimum they could cut any fund assistance to the missing foreign students.

That same speed the VA works on cutting off Veteran's checks makes me wonder why they have such a backlog in Veterans signing up for benefits? A $7.00 an hour part time student can stop a veteran's cash benefits at the start of each new quarter, yet another part of the full time federal system employees can't keep up with new Veterans signing up for treatment, or foreign students over staying their visas?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: What's wrong with that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyoldawg View Post
    Bob Bectel, a Democrat on the news show "The Five" says that there are 75,000 foreign students in America on student visas. Of that 75,000 there are 15,000 students not enrolled and are somewhere in this country illegally. he wants a two year moratorium on allowing students into the country so that we can find these students and deport them.

From personal experience I know for a fact that, already, each time a semester, or quarter starts the college, or university knows when classes start which student is not enrolled and notifies the federal government that the student is not enrolled and the federal government cuts off the funds to that student the very day they get notified. The government knows where they sent the checks to so they can go to that address and scoop up the illegal student with the expired visa and deport him or her.

Now, how could I know this and be so sure of those actions the government can take? Simply because as a Veteran in college under the Vietnam Veterans G I Bill I worked as a "Work Study" in the Registrars Office during my entire college studies. As each quarter started I sat at a computer and looked up every Veteran enrolled in school and whether he had registered for the present Quarter. If he had not enrolled on registration day and had not attended the first day of class the veterans Affairs Office was notified and the check did not arrive for that veteran at the end of the month.

If the government's Department of Veterans Affairs can act that quickly on the report of a $7.00 an hour Work Study student I simply don't understand why this very same government will not require colleges and universities to notify them when a student here on a visa does not sign up for a class at the start of a new quarter, or semester. Many of those students receive cash aid, or other form of assistance from the government so the government should know where to look. At the very minimum they could cut any fund assistance to the missing foreign students.

That same speed the VA works on cutting off Veteran's checks makes me wonder why they have such a backlog in Veterans signing up for benefits? A $7.00 an hour part time student can stop a veteran's cash benefits at the start of each new quarter, yet another part of the full time federal system employees can't keep up with new Veterans signing up for treatment, or foreign students over staying their visas?

I think that just goes to show that our government is more worried about what it's citizens are doing than what it's non-citizens are.

They don't give a shit about illegal aliens or people that have overstayed their visas (heck, they want to put them on the fast track to becoming citizens) but they sure as hell want to know what law abiding citizens own guns and were they are.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    whats 15K illegal students compared to 11.1M illegal aliens
    Maybe it's because these 15,000 illegals are from Muslim countries.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Cause they are more interested in dicking over those who are already here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If the supposition is that those students that entered on a student visa and then failed to attend school are here for reasons other than school, then it would stand to reason that simply going to the address to scoop them up would be unsuccessful. The "students" would probably know that they are in danger of being deported and simply move to another location.Cutting off the funding would also be a logical move, but would do little to affect the status of the "student". Again, if the supposition is that the "student" is here for reasons other than school, it would stand to reason the "student" has other means of supporting him- or herself.Should they be deported? Absolutely. They were allowed into the country to obtain an education, but they are not doing so. Therefore, their status is void.I have often wondered why we allow so many foreign students to enter the US for the purpose of education? In what way does our country benefit?
    Last edited by efmbman; 05-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    " ... I have often wondered why we allow so many foreign students to enter the US for the purpose of education? In what way does our country benefit?"
    I would bet it is because of the "Out of state tuition" which is sometimes triple that of in state tuition. I would be willing to bet that in some cases our government probably picks up the tab for that tuition also.

Tak Guest

Last edited by Tak; 05-04-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I would bet it is because of the "Out of state tuition" which is sometimes triple that of in state tuition. I would be willing to bet that in some cases our government probably picks up the tab for that tuition also.
    Quite possible, but if our govt picks up the tab I don't see that as a benefit. I would rather my tax dollars go to the education of my children or at least those of fellow citizens.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Quite possible, but if our govt picks up the tab I don't see that as a benefit. I would rather my tax dollars go to the education of my children or at least those of fellow citizens.
    Same here. If there was 3 potential students to get grant X.. one is a US citizen, good grades but spends more time in sports, a second a US citizen who has outstanding grades but no sports, and one who is foreign here on a Visa, i would definitely rather it go to the 2nd us citizen before either the other 2.. but the US sport guy before the foreigner.

Thread Information