Thread: Anyway out of volunteer assignment? I vol for OS base, now slots open where I am at

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Anyway out of volunteer assignment? I vol for OS base, now slots open where I am at

Anyone heard of anyone doing this? Long story short, I volunteered for OS, got it. Now the stateside list came out, and it has openings for where I currently am. Wife wants to stay here...kids are in school, all that stuff. Seems to me, it SHOULD be easy, would save the AF money to just cancel the assignment and let me stay. Question is, is it that easy?

While you think about it, look at Jennifer Lawrence bouncing around

Last edited by Joker76; 04-28-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Anyway out of volunteer assignment? I vol for OS base, now slots open where I am

It's been a while since I dealt with this, but the first thing that comes to mind is time on station and overseas return date. Different rules for vol and non-vol as far as who gets picked and what trumps what. Long tour and short tour for non-vol have different criteria as well.

If it's an overseas assignment that has people volunteers to go their and it's early in the process, shouldn't be a problem.

How long since you been OS (overseas, Bob)? Are you going to get hit with an assignment anyway? You may be better off playing these cards if it's a good location.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Tak Guest

Default Re: Anyway out of volunteer assignment? I vol for OS base, now slots open where I am

Hide under your desk and bark at people, then get on exceptional family member program.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

First, The "stateside list" is developed based on specific individuals returning from overseas as well as CONUS mandatory movers. They are not open to volunteer for.

second, if you've got retainability, you're stuck with the assignment.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I can tell you without a doubt the last thing AFPC thinks about when handing out assignments is saving money. There is plenty of money wasted with the assignment process.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Isn't really going to save the Air Force money because even if you could cancel it...someone still has to PCS overseas and someone else has to most likely replace them at whatever base they come from.

Tak Guest

Ruff...Ruff...

Thread Information