Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Banks and cashing in coin rolls.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Banks and cashing in coin rolls.

Wow, what a difference changing your state makes. when i was living out in Ca (before joining), down in gulfport, over in Va (norfolk nob), or even down in mayport, i had NO issues going into any bank, whether i was a member or not, and cashing in all the coins i had rolled. Usually i collect them in a jug/old milk bottle (gal), and once every 6 months, i roll them.

well now i am up here in Ohio (columbus), where there is NO navy federal nearby (unless i want to drive all the way up to cleveland), i went through 8 different banks, and only Chase was willing to allow me to cash in the coin rolls.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Banks and cashing in coin rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Wow, what a difference changing your state makes. when i was living out in Ca (before joining), down in gulfport, over in Va (norfolk nob), or even down in mayport, i had NO issues going into any bank, whether i was a member or not, and cashing in all the coins i had rolled. Usually i collect them in a jug/old milk bottle (gal), and once every 6 months, i roll them.

well now i am up here in Ohio (columbus), where there is NO navy federal nearby (unless i want to drive all the way up to cleveland), i went through 8 different banks, and only Chase was willing to allow me to cash in the coin rolls.

Correct. I remember starting my daughter's savings account with change and cash in 5 gallon water jug. Navy Federal at Parris Island had a machine that counted it there and put it in the account automatically. Now, where I live the only place that does it is at a grocery store. Then they charge 4.3 cents per dollar, OUTRAGEOUS.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

With this and the issue of finding a NFCU friendly atm facility its almost to the point i feel like i am gonna HAVE to find a new bank...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    Correct. I remember starting my daughter's savings account with change and cash in 5 gallon water jug. Navy Federal at Parris Island had a machine that counted it there and put it in the account automatically. Now, where I live the only place that does it is at a grocery store. Then they charge 4.3 cents per dollar, OUTRAGEOUS.
    At 4.3 cents on the dollar the OP would have been better off... how much gas did he burn driving to 8 banks?
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

All in all, it was around 7 or so miles driving.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Coinstar. Most Krogers or Giant Eagles have them. Or join PNC bank, get their free checking account (no-fee and no starting limit) so you can convert your coins there.

I grew up in the city to the north of Columbus, Delaware. Are you new to the area or a native returning?
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Ok we have established that we can do that at a grocery store. I said that in a previous post on here. But I am not going to join a bank just to use there coin machine. That's ridiculous.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    At 4.3 cents on the dollar the OP would have been better off... how much gas did he burn driving to 8 banks?
    Yeah it was a half mile for me to the store. But I couldn't believe my eyes. But the first time I went into the Walgreens here, they had a NavyFed atm inside it. It literally blew me away.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    Ok we have established that we can do that at a grocery store. I said that in a previous post on here. But I am not going to join a bank just to use there coin machine. That's ridiculous.
    Well, you also have the ability to check cash and a local source of funds, which comes in handy at times. Say your wallet/purse got stolen. No credit cards, a wait for them to arrive - no cash and no bank willing to cash your out of town check without a whopper of a fee. I always have a local account just for emergency funds.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Coinstar. Most Krogers or Giant Eagles have them. Or join PNC bank, get their free checking account (no-fee and no starting limit) so you can convert your coins there.

I grew up in the city to the north of Columbus, Delaware. Are you new to the area or a native returning?
    Moved up here from Gulfport MS last October.

Thread Information