Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reserved parking spots

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Reserved parking spots

good morning,

quick question. I've seen this topic discussed on here before but I can't find it. Every base has reserved parking for Chiefs and 06's and what not. Has anyone dealt with "decal parking"? I am a tenant unit at the AMC base I work at and we share a building with another squadron that already has parking for their squadron leadership. Well our wing has "decal parking" for our Gs-13's and up. I thought reserved parking was only a numbered amount of spaces per lot and for leadership? The building custodian here is talking about issuing tickets to people that park in the decal parking spots without a decal on their car. 1, can he do that, 2 the lot we park in services 4 different buildings so who knows who is parking there "illegally". I tried googling the AF instruction on reserved parking but can't find it. any help would be great. thanks.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Reserved parking spots

Check AFI 31-204
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Tak Guest

CES handle that

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

When not addressed by MAJCOMs, installation commanders determine reserved parking policy for their installations. These are included in the bases' 31-204 or a supplement to a MAJCOM plan. So it varies base to base. At my last base the 31-204 says this:

Each base facility will be allowed reserved parking for the following users:
    4.8.2.1. Wing and vice wing commander (Certain buildings only.)
    4.8.2.2. One reserved space for each group commander and each deputy group commander permanently occupying a facility
    4.8.2.3. One reserved space for each squadron commander and each deputy squadron commander (or appropriate equivalent) permanently occupying a facility
    4.8.2.4. One reserved space for each squadron first sergeant permanently occupying a facility
    4.8.2.5. Disabled parking based on the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines

It also said that the CE squadron had to approve all reserved parking spot and sign requests, since CE usually makes the signs and must follow the AFIs on authorized facility management (yes, parking lots are considered facilities and have their own numbers and category codes in the real estate records). That being said there were a ton more reserved parking signs than just was is above and none of them were approved by CE. Guess the worst offender... that's right SFS. They had reserved parking for almost everyone down to E-6 and it's their instruction.

So check your base's 31-204 and see what it says about authorized reserved parking. If these decal parking spots are listed then yes, you can be ticketed, but I'm sure it has to be a SFS member who issues the ticket. I don't think building managers have that authority (unless it is given in the 31-204).

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

SFS and CE have a hand in that. Technically there are only a handful of "legal" parking spots on a base. Handicapped, CEM's and CC's. Just because you are a Chief or Col, does not mean you get a spot, unless you hold the CEM/CC position. Every base has local OI's that can change this. Being from the CE side of this, we did not approve many parking spot requests, but if it was routed through SFS first, and they ok'd it, we would make the sign.

Bottom line is though, unless it is a handicapped spot, your not going to get in trouble for parking in the "decal" spot. The fac manager placing tickets isn't going to do anything either. I'm sure the decal's were purchased by the unit, or some friend of a CE guy had a bunch made up at one time, there would be no legal binding to a sticker for parking.

When I would get a call from a fac manager about this type of stuff, normally I would have the guys go out and remove these types of unauthorized parking spots. Its all fine to have them until I get a call from someone bitching.

Park wherever you want....

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My personnal opinion is that we should limit reserved parking to the very minimal (commanders, first sergeants, command chief's). Costs of making and maintaining signs does add up. Besides most of the time I see a lot of reserved parking spots they are in large parking lots. So the base doesn't have a parking problem it has a walking problem (aka lazy people).

Tak Guest

Should only have retired spots on base

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Geez, over in the compund over here, no one can park anywhere close to the bulding due to all the reserve parking (directors, visitors, admin folks) and handicap spots, even in the huge parking lots 1/3 of the spots are handicapp spots and FPCON designated handicapp spots.

Tak Guest

Good chance to tell a story...

At minot, lots of new airman, fpcon ramped up as i
    Headed to lunch. Asked them to cover wg cc, etc
    Parking signs with trash bags. Two hours later,
    Pull in parking lot and they had put clear trash bags
    To cover signs, not understanding point was to
    Blockout names...
    Last edited by Tak; 04-26-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

HQ AF ISR Agency has about 8 rows of reserved parking. Directors, Chiefs, Shirt, Carpoolers, and the large amount of handicapped spaces (Almost every civilian has Disabled Veteran plates).
    “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Thread Information