Thread: Senator puts hold on Air Force officer's promotion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Senator puts hold on Air Force officer's promotion

WASHINGTON — Sen. Claire McCaskill is holding up the nomination of Air Force Lt. Gen. Susan Helms, tapped to serve as vice commander of the U.S. Space Command, until the Missouri Democrat gets more information about Helms' decision to overturn a jury conviction in a sexual assault case.

"As the senator works to change the military justice system to better protect survivors of sexual assault and hold perpetrators accountable, she wants to ensure that cases in which commanders overturned jury verdicts against the advice of legal counsel are given the appropriate scrutiny," Drew Pusateri, a spokesman for the senator, said Thursday.

In February 2012, Helms rejected the recommendation of legal counsel and overturned the conviction of an Air Force captain who had been found guilty of aggravated sexual assault of a female lieutenant.

McCaskill's hold prevents the Senate from approving Helms' nomination.

The Helms' situation echoes another Air Force case that has outraged members of Congress.
    read more: http://www.stripes.com/senator-puts-...otion-1.218293

Although...I don't believe this is a promotion, she is already a 3-star moving to another 3-star billet, but still must be reconfirmed.

Although, I'm thinking if you get convicted of sexual assault now, your chances of getting it overturned by the convening authority are pretty much nil.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 04-25-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Senator puts hold on Air Force officer's promotion

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post

Although...I don't believe this is a promotion, she is already a 3-star moving to another 3-star billet, but still must be reconfirmed.

Although, I'm thinking if you get convicted of sexual assault now, your chances of getting it overturned by the convening authority are pretty much nil.
    This will turn out to be temporary. McCaskill will announce that she's made her point and the Senate will move ahead.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I think Helms and Franklin should be booted out of the Air Force.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post

I think what you are going to see is a move by those accused of sexual assault to move to NJP instead of court martial (if allowed) the punishment and consequences of receiving an Art 15 at less "harmful" than those handed out by NJP.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    I think what you are going to see is a move by those accused of sexual assault to move to NJP instead of court martial (if allowed) the punishment and consequences of receiving an Art 15 at less "harmful" than those handed out by NJP.
    There would be a lot of heat for a commander if he/she offered Art 15 for sexual harassment.

I think we'll probably see more of a witches' hunt...if you get accused of any sexual crime, you are toast.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

You got a point... Does a convening authority has the say on whether they offer NJP or not? Can the accused request NJP?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    You got a point... Does a convening authority has the say on whether they offer NJP or not? Can the accused request NJP?
    Yes, the commander has that authority for minor offenses.

The accused can't just choose it if it's not offered.

But there will be a lot of heat calling a sexual assault a minor offense...don't think we'll see much of that.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I am curious why they would nominate her for a position at a Command that went away in 2002? There is AF Space Command but no U.S. Space Command (merged with U.S. Strategic Command in 2002)....
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Talked to someone with knowledge of the case in question. Was definitely a lot of "WTFs" when she overturned the conviction. Apparently there was some pretty shady stuff that went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    I am curious why they would nominate her for a position at a Command that went away in 2002? There is AF Space Command but no U.S. Space Command (merged with U.S. Strategic Command in 2002)....
    Stop trying to confuse people with facts!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Thread Information