Page 1 of 87 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Go AF Atheists!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Go AF Atheists!

Way to show those Christians!

The U.S. military ordered soldiers to remove a cross and a steeple from atop a chapel and to board up cross-shaped windows at a remote American forward operating base in Afghanistan.

The removal of Christian symbols from the chapel at Forward Operating Base Orgun-E came after a solider complained leading American Atheists president David Silverman to send a letter to the Pentagon.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...om-chapel.html

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Go AF Atheists!

Quote Originally Posted by 20+Years View Post
    Way to show those Christians!

The U.S. military ordered soldiers to remove a cross and a steeple from atop a chapel and to board up cross-shaped windows at a remote American forward operating base in Afghanistan.

The removal of Christian symbols from the chapel at Forward Operating Base Orgun-E came after a solider complained — leading American Atheists president David Silverman to send a letter to the Pentagon.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...om-chapel.html
    Hmm, I'll bite. The title doesn't match the article cause there is no mention of AF personnel and this should probably have been put in the Army thread but I digress.

I don't label myself as an atheist, but I guess that's what I would be called cause I don't believe in any higher being. And I don't agree with how atheists use whatever attention grabbing scheme they can to promote their non-belief such as having a church remove a cross. So I didn't agree with this until they made a very good point. Throwing up a cross in a strictly muslim country is asking for a shit storm of problems. I think this is how it should have been approached vs saying "Hey I'm an atheist and that cross offends me." The less we do to draw attention the less chance people will get killed because some nut job got pissed and wants to start a riot.

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    Hmm, I'll bite. The title doesn't match the article cause there is no mention of AF personnel and this should probably have been put in the Army thread but I digress.

I don't label myself as an atheist, but I guess that's what I would be called cause I don't believe in any higher being. And I don't agree with how atheists use whatever attention grabbing scheme they can to promote their non-belief such as having a church remove a cross. So I didn't agree with this until they made a very good point. Throwing up a cross in a strictly muslim country is asking for a shit storm of problems. I think this is how it should have been approached vs saying "Hey I'm an atheist and that cross offends me." The less we do to draw attention the less chance people will get killed because some nut job got pissed and wants to start a riot.
    Funny, I thought it was freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. I believe they are infringing on their right to worship now. Interesting.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Funny, I thought it was freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. I believe they are infringing on their right to worship now. Interesting.
    You can't worship because there is no steeple or cross on top of the building?
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Maybe those folks feel that is the proper way to worship. I don't get offended by Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, or Athiests. I don't ask that manorahs be taken down. People are just crying for attention.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I really don't think that it's atheists that are hurt the most by this. The problem is that the same chapels are used by people of all religions - not just Christians.

Now, if they built separate chapels for each religion - say, a separate building for a church, a separate building for a synagogue, and a separate building for a mosque; then that would be one thing. But a multi-use building should not be built for single-use.
    "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system for the American people."

~Paul Ryan

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Apparently not.

I love the quote in the article from the guy who claims it's an attack an Christianity. It always makes me chuckle when Christian groups get their panties in a knot because they got special treatment or did something they're not supposed to do (be it illegal or against regulations) and they got called on it. NEWS FLASH: Being treated like everyone else is not an "attack on your faith". They'd be screaming their heads off if the chapel had a Buddha statue in it & demanding it be removed from "their" building.

I'm guessing the AF in the thread title came from the MRRF, which has Mikey Weinstein as it's head, who was in the AF.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    Apparently not.

I love the quote in the article from the guy who claims it's an attack an Christianity. It always makes me chuckle when Christian groups get their panties in a knot because they got special treatment or did something they're not supposed to do (be it illegal or against regulations) and they got called on it. NEWS FLASH: Being treated like everyone else is not an "attack on your faith". They'd be screaming their heads off if the chapel had a Buddha statue in it & demanding it be removed from "their" building.

I'm guessing the AF in the thread title came from the MRRF, which has Mikey Weinstein as it's head, who was in the AF.
    They are not being treated like everybody else. They're attacked constantly. People don't generally bitch and moan against Jewish items on display. Don't want to come off as anti Semitic. Look at why it offends him? Because he doesn't believe? Good for you for not believing. I do, so why can't I display it? Because it hurt some little cry babies feelings. Get over it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

They are not being treated like everybody else. They're attacked constantly. People don't generally bitch and moan against Jewish items on display. Don't want to come off as anti Semitic. Look at why it offends him? Because he doesn't believe? Good for you for not believing. I do, so why can't I display it? Because it hurt some little cry babies feelings. Get over it.
    Everyone is free to worship how they wish, but if you accomodated everyone, there wouldn't be room for a steeple, a cross, a star, a moon, a buddha, a pentagram or whatever else. Military places of worship are supposed to be non-denominational, so people of all faiths are welcome and can use the facility.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Did you read in the article where it's against Army regulations? Does that mean anything to you? And no, I will not "get over" violations of regulations or the constitution. It doesn't matter who is violating it, it's still wrong. Equality, separtation of chruch and state, and removal of preferential treatment is not prosecution.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Thread Information