Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Army Removes Bible Reference from Scopes

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Army Removes Bible Reference from Scopes

I believe this is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Who honestly cares if there's a Bible verse on the scope of a rifle? Are we serious here? And the fact that there's instructions AND photos on how to do this makes it even better. I'm willing to bet that 99% of people using these scopes didn't even know it was on there. I guess TACOM has a lot of time on their hands.

"The U.S. Army is directing troops to remove a Bible inscription that a vendor etched into the serial numbers of weapon scopes, Fox News has learned. Soldiers at Fort Wainwright in Alaska told Fox News they received a directive to turn in their scopes so the Bible references could be removed. After the letters and numbers were scrapped off, soldiers were directed to use apply black paint to ensure the verses were totally covered.
    “The vendor etched those inscriptions on scopes without the Army’s approval,” Army spokesman Matthew Bourke told Fox in a written statement. “Consequently, the modified scopes did not meet the requirement under which the contract was executed.”
    Bourke said the vendor agreed to remove all Bible references on future deliveries.
    “Some of these scopes had already been fielded,” Bourke explained. “Corrective measures were taken to remove inscriptions during the RESET/PRESET process in order to avoid a disruption in combat operations.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...om-scopes.html
    Last edited by drc100882; 04-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.
    - Margaret Thatcher

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Army Removes Bible Reference from Scopes

This is an old story actually. It's a problem because many soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have reported people coming up to them and asking to see their "Jesus Rifle". It makes it look like we are fighting a Holy war.

Tak Guest

Dumbest think?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by USAF-Controller View Post
    This is an old story actually. It's a problem because many soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have reported people coming up to them and asking to see their "Jesus Rifle". It makes it look like we are fighting a Holy war.
    Which they are doing because some asshat made it a story.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Which they are doing because some asshat made it a story.
    Exactly:

"One of the Fort Wainwright soldiers who received the order to remove the inscription told Fox News that hardly anyone was aware of the religious reference."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

That's today's Army...more concerned about political correctness than accomplishing the mission. The past couple of Saturdays at the commissary have been listening to some Army colonel babbling over the PA system about the upcoming Earth Day. Thought the money spent making a big deal out of Earth Day Army-wide would be better used for actual mission accomplishment.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Answer this question, isn't there an inspection made on items received from contractors to insure the items meet the specifications of the contract? Were these items inspected at any level before being issued and the source receiving payment? Yes, this an old story but , I think these are reasonable questions.
    You ride with outlaws - you die with outlaws - Simple justice - Should be done world wide

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 106PADDOCK View Post
    Answer this question, isn't there an inspection made on items received from contractors to insure the items meet the specifications of the contract? Were these items inspected at any level before being issued and the source receiving payment? Yes, this an old story but , I think these are reasonable questions.
    Agree. Have participated in a number of system acceptance tests to ensure the system met specs before the government would accept it. I'd expect that every scope should have been inspected before government acceptance.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 106PADDOCK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    Agree. Have participated in a number of system acceptance tests to ensure the system met specs before the government would accept it. I'd expect that every scope should have been inspected before government acceptance.
    Not always...I've done several acceptance tests where the govt inspects the first batch, or first item in some cases, and the rest are direct-shipped from the manufacturer to the field units and immediately placed into service.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Not always...I've done several acceptance tests where the govt inspects the first batch, or first item in some cases, and the rest are direct-shipped from the manufacturer to the field units and immediately placed into service.
    I just thought that in the PC world of today's military, somewhere along the road these markings would have been noticed by someone in the supply/purchasing chain and acted upon before fielding. Just my Pollyanna $.02 worth.
    You ride with outlaws - you die with outlaws - Simple justice - Should be done world wide

Thread Information