Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Air Force screws its civilians

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Air Force screws its civilians

It appears the AF did a grave disservice to its civilians by halting the original RMD 703 actions and announcing this latest RIF action. Once positively identified to lose a job for a RIF, the individual gets hiring preference for other federal jobs. That preference could not be used last year because there was no official RIF. Now it can be used but it appears there may be significantly less federal job opportunities being advertised now versus the end of last year into early this year. So that RIF hiring preference now no longer has as much effect. Thanks a lot, Air Force!

Tak Guest

Default Re: Air Force screws its civilians

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedAirman View Post
    It appears the AF did a grave disservice to its civilians by halting the original RMD 703 actions and announcing this latest RIF action. Once positively identified to lose a job for a RIF, the individual gets hiring preference for other federal jobs. That preference could not be used last year because there was no official RIF. Now it can be used but it appears there may be significantly less federal job opportunities being advertised now versus the end of last year into early this year. So that RIF hiring preference now no longer has as much effect. Thanks a lot, Air Force!
    Af owes them nothing.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Owes them nothing, to include a screwing. Could have just called the RIF last year and let them have priority to get jobs with other agencies versus keeping them on the books in non-existent AF positions earning AF money.

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedAirman View Post
    Owes them nothing, to include a screwing. Could have just called the RIF last year and let them have priority to get jobs with other agencies versus keeping them on the books in non-existent AF positions earning AF money.
    Yes, you are right, they should have taken care of them and set them up for success. It's the people they care about.

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    I'm more concerned with how it screws its AD folks. N
    AF civilians are always so sweet and caring and supportive of AD folks.

JD2780 Guest

I'm more concerned with how it screws its AD folks. N

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I hope you get more specific on your thread. Who, what, where, how and why should be answered. I can give you some specifics. Offutt has been involved in grade creeping of their civilians, meaning they have GS15's doing GS12 jobs, and GS12's doing GS7 jobs. They also have GS14's as deputy commanders of groups and GS13's as deputy commanders of squadrons. The average salary at Offutt is $90,000, but the average salary in Nebraska is only $42,000. Offutt has been sued twice for abusing their civilians and unpaid volunteers. Their EEO reps side with the military commanders 100% of the time, meaning it's useless to file a complaint. Offutt should be number 1 on any RIF or furlough.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Every since that civilian safety guy at Reese AFB in 88 wrote me a up for having temp tags on my Bike that I just bought the day before... well I simply don't care about them because it doesn't seem like they care that much about me. Sorry, harsh, I know... but there it is.
    Last edited by TVANSCOT; 04-22-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I have a slight problem with having to listen to civilians tell me what to do when they aren't either an enlisted or commissioned member of the military. I have no problem with legitimate positions that civilians should hold, but the problem comes when they are put in supervisor roles or positions where they make decisions that affect my pay and career. I have been through mirror image situations with military and civilian counterparts and ALWAYS get better service from the military counterpart.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
    -Michael Scott

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Not all civilians are bad just some. But yes it does screw over the civilians do to the sequester. Because most but not all federal agencies are under a hiring freeze as of right now. I know the USGS who I work for is. We have 3 open positions right now and we can't do anything to fill those spots because we are under a hiring freeze.

Thread Information