Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changing your legal residence or HOR.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Changing your legal residence or HOR.

Has anyone done this? What is involved with it? I know it's not just a simple change with a lot of things to consider.

I'm just tired of giving money away to the state of Taxachusetts. Every tax year I end up either owing taxes or get a $10 refund but still owe because my stupid state charges to file. I haven't lived in that state for 12 years and I'm tired of their shenanigans.

When you file, they ask if you've purchased any items over $1,000 out of state so they can tax you for it. This is mainly because a lot of people go across the border to New Hampshire to buy stuff because they don't have sales tax.

Really rustles my jimmies.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Changing your legal residence or HOR.

I did it when I inprocessed my base...just filled out some form with finance...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

DD Form 2058...easy peasy....6 blocks to fill out...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Do they give you any grief about living there when you get out etc?
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    Has anyone done this? What is involved with it? I know it's not just a simple change with a lot of things to consider.

I'm just tired of giving money away to the state of Taxachusetts. Every tax year I end up either owing taxes or get a $10 refund but still owe because my stupid state charges to file. I haven't lived in that state for 12 years and I'm tired of their shenanigans.

When you file, they ask if you've purchased any items over $1,000 out of state so they can tax you for it. This is mainly because a lot of people go across the border to New Hampshire to buy stuff because they don't have sales tax.

Really rustles my jimmies.
    Are you talking about changing your state of legal residence for tax purposes or changing your home of record? Those are two completely different things. If you want to change your state of legal residence for tax purposes all you need to do is fill it a DD2058. It really is that simple. Finance is not the State of legal residence police. If you want it changed we change it. Simple as that. If you read the form it explains that the only thing necessary to change your state of legal residence is prescense in that state and intent to return after you seperate from the military. Here is what the form says:

The purpose of this certificate is to obtain information with respect to your legal residence/domicile for the purpose of determining
    the State for which income taxes are to be withheld from your "wages" as defined by Section 3401(a) of the Internal Revenue Code
    of 1954. PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING.

The terms "legal residence" and "domicile" are essentially interchangeable. In brief, they are used to denote that place where you
    have your permanent home and to which, whenever you are absent, you have the intention of returning. The Soldiers’ and Sailors’
    Civil Relief Act protects your military pay from the income taxes of the State in which you reside by reason of military orders unless
    that is also your legal residence/domicile. The Act further provides that no change in your State of legal residence/domicile will
    occur solely as a result of your being ordered to a new duty station.

You should not confuse the State which is your "home of record" with your State of legal residence/domicile. Your "home of
    record" is used for fixing travel and transportation allowances. A "home of record" must be changed if it was erroneously or
    fraudulently recorded initially.

Enlisted members may change their "home of record" at the time they sign a new enlistment contract. Officers may not change their
    "home of record" except to correct an error, or after a break in service. The State which is your "home of record" may be your State
    of legal residence/domicile only if it meets certain criteria.

The formula for changing your State of legal residence/domicile is simply stated as follows: physical presence in the new State with
    the simultaneous intent of making it your permanent home and abandonment of the old State of legal residence/domicile.
    In most cases, you must actually reside in the new State at the time you form the intent to make it your permanent home. Such intent
    must be clearly indicated. Your intent to make the new State your permanent home may be indicated by certain actions such as: (1)
    registering to vote; (2) purchasing residential property or an unimproved residential lot; (3) titling and registering your
    automobile(s); (4) notifying the State of your previous legal residence/domicile of the change in your State of legal
    residence/domicile; and (5) preparing a new last will and testament which indicates your new State of legal residence/domicile.
    Finally, you must comply with the applicable tax laws of the State which is your new legal residence/domicile.

Generally, unless these steps have been taken, it is doubtful that your State of legal residence/domicile has changed. Failure to
    resolve any doubts as to your State of legal residence/domicile may adversely impact on certain legal privileges which depend on
    legal residence/domicile including among others, eligibility for resident tuition rates at State universities, eligibility to vote or be a
    candidate for public office, and eligibility for various welfare benefits. If you have any doubt with regard to your State of legal
    residence

EDIT: If you want you can fill out the DD2058 electronically and digitally sign it. Then email it to finance. I t really is as simple as one person said above. 6 easy blocks to fill out. Depending onw hat state you elect you also have one other step to complete. Once you state of legal residence is chanegd you need to login to MyPay and declare taht you want to be exempt from state income tax. Being exempt is not necissarily automatic unless the state you elect does not have an income tax.
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 04-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It's going to vary a little based on the state you want to now claim. In my case it was basically prove that you intend to stay (or come back once you retire/separate). There was a laundry list of things on the states .org site the qualified as proof. such as: buy or rent a home, get untility services at that residence, register a vehicle, get a drivers license to name a few. But the most important for me was changing my LES. If you really are in Germany as your location says it could be tricky.
    Rear Admiral Yancy Graham: You watch yourself, Dodge. You are addressing a superior officer!
    Lt. Comd. Dodge: No, merely a higher ranking one.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Nope...you can have "intent to remain there" today and life plans change tomorrow.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Remember, once you get out you are a resident of whatever state you live in. No paperwork to fill out, etc. So if I decide to move to Maine when I retire, I am a Maine resident. So there would be no point for any state to give you grief about living there afterwards.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

That is an interesting question. The answer is...sort of but not exactly. They don't care where you go when you get out BUT if you separate or are discharged, they will only pay to move your junk up to the estimated cost to move it to your HOR. You can still move further away, they just won't pay. If you retire, you get a free move to wherever the hell you want to go...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The only issue you might have is getting any or all of your state taxes back from MA. Since we are already in April you have paid at least 3 months worth of taxes to MA. Thhe IRS and most states require the AF to make quarterly tax payments. Your money has already been sent to MA. If you want it back you have to deal with the state. They may ask you what date you decided that you intended not to return. They may want some sort of verification of that. For example they may wantt o know when you registered to vote in the new state or when you licensed you car in the new state. They may also simply accept the DD2058 as prrof. Either way worse case scenario they keep your first 3 months of taxes and you are tax free for the rest of the year.

For what it is worth I always noticed that most people in the AF are "residents" of three states. Texas, Alaska, and Florida. Texas and Florida have no income tax and Alaska is also not an income states and has the added bonus of paying residents for allowing oil companies to pillage the state (there are extra requirements to get that bonus though).

Thread Information