Thread: Overseas Returnee/Mandatory Mover

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Overseas Returnee/Mandatory Mover

Does anyone know how the overseas returnee/mandatory mover assignments work? All I know is that the assignments are 1 for 1. Whatever is listed on AMS is what you will get.

So in my case there are 10 bases and 12 slots. So that means 12 people in my AFSC have to be placed at one of those bases. If all 12 of us pick the exact 5 bases how do they delegate who will go to the remaining bases? 5 of the bases are great and the other 5 are crapholes (Canon, Holloman, Tinker, Barksdale, can't remember the others). What do they base the placement on besides your dreamsheet?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Overseas Returnee/Mandatory Mover

You are correct that the assignments are 1 for 1, so if there are 20 people with a DEROS and 5 CONUS mandatory movers, there will be 25 assignments listed and those 25 people will be picked in this order:

Returnee Assignment Priority. Before CONUS assignments are assigned; overseas returnees are aligned into three groups within each grade and AFSC, and further grouped by number of short tours and extensions. This grouping determines the assignment selection priority:
    (1) Group one (highest priority) - Airmen returning from overseas tours of 17 months or less where dependents are restricted.
    (2) Group two - Airmen returning from overseas tours of 17 months or less where dependents are authorized, but the Airman served unaccompanied.
    (3) Group three (lowest priority) - Airmen returning from overseas tours of 18 months or more, regardless of accompanied status.

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/docum...110307-039.pdf
    CONUS mandatory movers fall below that. From there, TOS is the next discriminator.

From there, I'm not sure how they pick, say the last 5 folks aren't matched and there are 5 crappy assignments left.
    Last edited by CrustySMSgt; 04-12-2013 at 06:21 AM.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

agree lots of folks forget to update their dreamsheets... and then are screwed when they get an assignment they "volunteered for."
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

A fresh update on the dreamsheet is another urban legend. I'm in a similiar situation and my FAM told me to resubmit my dreamsheet so it's got a fresh date on it. He said you'd be surprised how many don't and that's why they get the crap assignments. Results may vary.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

agree lots of folks forget to update their dreamsheets... and then are screwed when they get an assignment they "volunteered for."

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Crusty hit it nail on the head. There are always variables though. The bases you think are shitty, someone else will have it number one due to where there from or a job they are wanting etc. There are people that want to be stationed at Barksdale believe it or not. Just update your dream sheet with whats on your list and strap in, you will probably get one of your top three choices.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Here's a HUGE lesson that I still haven't been able to convince a MSgt that worked for me is right. DO NOT put a base on your dream sheet unless you WANT to go there!!!

Had a MSgt working a follow-on after a remote. Wanted to get to Edwards. Filled dream sheet with S. CA bases and Nellis, and then as choices 7 & 8 put Travis & Beale, "because they were in CA." Got Beale and was pissed because "they should have been able to match a higher listed choice." The assignment folks at AFPC work THOUSANDS of assignment/personnel actions... if they find an easy match for ONE of your preferences, they've done their job. They aren't mind readers. If you don't want to go somewhere, don't put it in your dream sheet!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Don't forget to always check EQUAL PLUS as well. A whole lot of Airmen are totally unaware of the possibilities that are on EP. Check your rank as well as one rank up/down. There are CONUS jobs and out-of-cycle overseas jobs. Also if your interested in special duty jobs (SDIs) that's where to look. Once I learned how the assignment system works I got every assignment I wanted from 1989 - 2010. Granted some of those might not have been on other people's lists...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks for the advice. I've updated my dreamsheet and only selected the bases that I actually want to go to. I also check the equal plus listings very often but most of the jobs they post are a few days before my DEROS and I was told it was almost impossible to get one of those assignments. I volunteer for them anyways there may be some off chance that I could get one. I'm just nervous and really don't want to end up in NM! Now it's the wait game

Thread Information