Thread: Coastie charged with Desertion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Coastie charged with Desertion

Unless you have more info on the story, not sure why you feel bad for the guy? He bailed on his unit and family to go do who knows what, leaving them to think he was dead (and drugs were involved somewhere). What's to feel bad about?
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I see the board is wigging out again... my reply is at the top of the thread... lol
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Coastie charged with Desertion

Interesting that the USCG is going that route when it is seldom taken by any of the other branches... Not sure this is the case I would want to set the example either... Kinda feel bad for the guy...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/10...est=latestnews
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

JD2780 Guest

Barbers point is awesome. The guy has had a seriously rough few years. Like they said though, desertion, illegal use of a controlled substance. Tough case. Oh and the navy brig on ford island isn't that bad. 3 hots and cot. It's like basic. Keep your shoes lined, bed straight and do as you're told. Pretty easy. Oh and you're still in Hawaii.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I see the board is wigging out again... my reply is at the top of the thread... lol

JD2780 Guest

If the CG is the like the AF they probably told him to get over it and come to work in 2 weeks. So he took business into his own hands. Not saying he should get away with anything, but I would like to make sure th CG looks looks dirty as well if this is the case.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Unless you have more info on the story, not sure why you feel bad for the guy? He bailed on his unit and family to go do who knows what, leaving them to think he was dead (and drugs were involved somewhere). What's to feel bad about?
    It seems like he has a rough couple of years...

Hawaii News Now reported that Matthews lost four colleagues in a 2008 helicopter crash. The following year, his first wife was critically hurt when she was hit head-on by a car while riding her bike. She died a couple of years later, according to public records
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

JD2780 Guest

If the CG is the like the AF they probably told him to get over it and come to work in 2 weeks. So he took business into his own hands. Not saying he should get away with anything, but I would like to make sure th CG looks looks dirty as well if this is the case.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    It seems like he has a rough couple of years...

Hawaii News Now reported that Matthews lost four colleagues in a 2008 helicopter crash. The following year, his first wife was critically hurt when she was hit head-on by a car while riding her bike. She died a couple of years later, according to public records
    All right... I guess I can see how you might say that... what a bad streak.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This guy's an E-6 rescue swimmer with about ten years in, by my estimation. I thought those guys are treated like gold in the USCG. I wonder if he's had a couple of non-disclosure disciplinary measures already. But what matters is the here-and-now, and getting help. Unfortunately he's throwing that option away:

"Matthews was in the process of being discharged from the Coast Guard for illegal use of marijuana when he disappeared in October."

A general discharge, even under honorable conditions, restricts more options available to the veteran concerning the VA.

Thread Information