Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So why no WWII Air Force Miniseries?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Cool So why no WWII Air Force Miniseries?

I was watching The Pacific from HBO recently and it got me to thinking. Both it and Band of Brothers are absolutely superb war epics, told from the perspective of the guys on the ground. I take nothing away from veterans of either theater and have nothing but the deepest respect for them but as for HBO, I have a question for you. Why has there been no such dramatic series done to honor the Air Force's contribution in World War II? The whole war was a group effort and those heroes on the ground would never have even left their bases to go fight unless the Air Force had not knocked the German and Japanese air forces on their heels and severely hammered the ground defenses. They did this at a pretty severe cost to themselves too. Back me up on the numbers here Bob, but I believe the 8th Air Force lost more men in the skies over Europe than the entire USMC did in the Pacific theater. For that matter, the Marines' losses would have been far more devastating had the 509th Composite Group's atomic knock-out punch not destroyed the Japanese will to fight. I'm sure with a little digging the execs at HBO could piece together a good story that would honor our airmen forefathers.
    OK, rant over. What do you guys think?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: So why no WWII Air Force Miniseries?

Quote Originally Posted by crwchf16 View Post
    I was watching The Pacific from HBO recently and it got me to thinking. Both it and Band of Brothers are absolutely superb war epics, told from the perspective of the guys on the ground. I take nothing away from veterans of either theater and have nothing but the deepest respect for them but as for HBO, I have a question for you. Why has there been no such dramatic series done to honor the Air Force's contribution in World War II? The whole war was a group effort and those heroes on the ground would never have even left their bases to go fight unless the Air Force had not knocked the German and Japanese air forces on their heels and severely hammered the ground defenses. They did this at a pretty severe cost to themselves too. Back me up on the numbers here Bob, but I believe the 8th Air Force lost more men in the skies over Europe than the entire USMC did in the Pacific theater. For that matter, the Marines' losses would have been far more devastating had the 509th Composite Group's atomic knock-out punch not destroyed the Japanese will to fight. I'm sure with a little digging the execs at HBO could piece together a good story that would honor our airmen forefathers.
    OK, rant over. What do you guys think?
    Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who produced the "Band of Brothers" television series, have bought the rights to "Masters of the Air" by Donald Miller (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr) to make a television series next year. Not precisely as you put it crwchf16 but the Army Air Forces lost more men in combat than the Marine Corps. Angelina Jolie (who purchased a copy of one of my books from me, face-to-face) is signed up to direct the movie based on "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr).

My opinion is that it was the B-29 Superfortress campaign, not the atomic bombs, that made it unnecessary to have amphibious landings at Kyushu in late 1945 and in Tokyo Bay in early 1946. One of my other current books, "Mission to Tokyo," also not optioned for film. covers that.

Being in a B-17 Flying Fortress in Europe was easily as hard or harder than being in the infantry, armor or artillery.

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who produced the "Band of Brothers" television series, have bought the rights to "Masters of the Air" by Donald Miller (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr) to make a television series next year. Not precisely as you put it crwchf16 but the Army Air Forces lost more men in combat than the Marine Corps. Angelina Jolie (who purchased a copy of one of my books from me, face-to-face) is signed up to direct the movie based on "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand (not "Mission to Berlin" by Robert F. Dorr).

My opinion is that it was the B-29 Superfortress campaign, not the atomic bombs, that made it unnecessary to have amphibious landings at Kyushu in late 1945 and in Tokyo Bay in early 1946. One of my other current books, "Mission to Tokyo," also not optioned for film. covers that.

Being in a B-17 Flying Fortress in Europe was easily as hard or harder than being in the infantry, armor or artillery.
    I read unbroken. Truly an amazing story. RFD I'll pick up msn to Berlin eventually but right now I'm concentrating on my educational books.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The simple answer is that the Air Force did not fight in WWII.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I think the 315th Bomb Wing would be an ideal organization for a mini-series on the USAAF B-29s during WWII. They formed in Lincoln, Nebraska and flew their planes across country, and arrived on Guam in 1945, a few months before the end of the war. My father was assigned to the 315th and was the historian for many years. My father passed away in 2007. I've enclosed a link to the 315th: http://www.315bw.org/

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If this were to happen which unit would you have the story be based around? There are not many that I could think of off hand that would make a good miniseries unless you include one where people go shot down and became POWs.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I believe there was a TV series in the 1960 called "12 O'Clock High" about the Army-Air Forces stationed in England during WWII. It wasn't a miniseries but a weekly drama about the men who flew B17s over Germany.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I recently watched a Direct-to-DVD movie called "Fortress that was about a B-17 crew in 1943. It was done by the same team that produces "Dogfights" on the History Channel. While the plot and characters are a little weak, the visuals are very well done. I found it on DVD in Walmart for $10, and I think it's on Netflix now. Worth watching if you have an interest in the topic and have 90 minutes to spare.

Would love to see a mini-series or movie based on Stephen Ambrose's The Wild Blue.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I always thought a Flying Tigers movie could be great. Part drama, with a good touch of comedy.

And, yes I know that they were not AAF of other US mil, but mercenary/contractors.

It looks like Hollywood has had a few starts and stops with the Tigers. http://www.warbirdforum.com/movies.htm I like the thought of a Harrison Ford as Chennault. Not sure who would play Pappy B.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

What of giving the squids some lovin?

Thread Information