Thread: In reply to the WO budget suggestions

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default In reply to the WO budget suggestions

I agree with most of what you have to say MINUS one big item, uniforms. I go through AT LEAST 1 pair of boots, 1 desert and 1 woodland cammie set each year. That alone is like $260ish. I don't know what you do in the Marines, but if you've been in touch with Corps lately you might have noticed that experiences may vary. Utilities get utilized, then they get replaced. Perhaps there should be a survey to see what units go through cammies/boots at the rapid rate and adjust clothing allowance accordingly (honesty required) and just assume grunts, motor-t and mechanics will render their uniforms unservicable faster than say, supply or admin.
    If I stay in this beloved Corps I vow to try my hardest to put a kink in the careerism and duechebaggary that plagues the ranks in an attempt to prevent the downfall of a lethal, vigorous and purportedly adaptive force.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: In reply to the WO budget suggestions

I think that if you have to buy new uniforms, money should be allotted to pay for sewing on nametapes, or getting them sized correctly. Not simply for the article of clothing itself. The only way I could think to make up for that cost is to file it as a tax write-off.....
    Sgt. Mike / USMC

"To summarize: Three steps must be taken to smash the war racket.
    1. We must take the profit out of war.
    2. We must permit the youth of the land who would bear arms to decide whether or not there should be war.
    3. We must limit our military forces to home defense purposes."

- MajGen Smedley Butler, 'War Is A Racket'.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Just like you said here's how I see the problem, the Marine Corps doesn't seem to acknowledge that different MOS have drastically different uniform replacement requirements.

Grunts, Motor T, Maintenance types, Tracks/Tanks, LAV guys are going to burn through Cammies do to either wear and tear or spilling fluids on them wayyyyyy faster than an Admin/Supply/Legal MOS Marine. I think MOS should play a big role in determining the uniform replacement bonus.

I actually think this one could get traction because it is based on reason, not complaining. Who knows?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

"When I was in all YOU would have to sign a chit for damages to your working uniform and get reimbursed chop-chop!"
    (you washed them and put them on your Chief or OIC's desk and say;'You want
    ME to wear these tomorrow at Roll Call'? And I did till they gave me a chit)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If this chit still exists I will buy you many PBR... Anyone know of this sorcery?
    If I stay in this beloved Corps I vow to try my hardest to put a kink in the careerism and duechebaggary that plagues the ranks in an attempt to prevent the downfall of a lethal, vigorous and purportedly adaptive force.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Why not authorize FROG suits for field use in the states? As a unit issued item, the cost wouldn't come out of individual Marines' pockets. Given the drawdown and reduced deployed personnel there should be more than enough in the system to cover this need. Isn't there some saying about "train like you fight?" FROG suits are required for all operations outside the wire, so why aren't they being used during field exercises as well? This wouldn't totally eliminate the cost that Marines accrue in regards to uniform replacement but it would certainly help those that do the most damage on a regular basis.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I like the sound of that

Thread Information