Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. CMSgt Suzette Cherry

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Unhappy R.I.P. CMSgt Suzette Cherry

Just had to share this as a message/reminder to all...

A great friend of mine had her retirement ceremony 5 March 2012. She was the Command Chief at a Reserve Wing and also a contractor, and retired to spend more time with her family. Her husband is an ART CMSgt. One short year after her retirement, on 8 March 2013, out of the blue, she was diagnosed with Lukemia. One month later, today, she passed away... on their 12th wedding anniversary.

Life is short folks! Live each day as if it was your last. If you're staying late at work just to be there and sacrificing time with your family, that work will be there tomorrow... get your ass home. We never know when our time will be up. We all hope to be able to enjoy time spent with our families when we retire, but tomorrow isn't a guaruntee. Suzette lived every day to the fullest; I've never met a person so full of life. While it is hard to imagine a world without her smile, her memory will live on in the memories of all whose lives she touched.

Rest in peace my friend... you will truly be missed.

"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: R.I.P. CMSgt Suzette Cherry

Condolences to you and the family. I find myself doing exactly what you pointed out not to do, far too often. As you said, in the end when we retire, all we have is hopefully our family intact. I see myself and many others putting in long hours and often wonder "for what?".

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sad day for you, the family and the AF. A previous OIC of mine once told us, "No one ever layed on their death bed and said, 'I wished I had spent more time at work.'" He valued family and told us we should too.

Condolences...

FLAPS Guest

That's pretty sad, and reminds me of several people who didn't live too long after retirement. It also reminds me of several Chiefs/Cols and other ranks who worked 12+ hour days, came in on weekends to catch up, etc in the years leading up to retirement. Not sure how any of them are doing, but one thing is for sure, and that's nobody is talking about their impact on the AF.

They came, they sacrificed family 12+ hours per day, and they left without leaving any legacy behind. No portraits of them on the walls, no "Col/Chief Snuffy Rememberance Day," no mention of them in PME books, and no discussion at work whatsoever about any impact they made to the AF while working so many long hours. Five minutes after their retirement, life went on as if they were never there. Makes you think...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sad day for you, the family and the AF. A previous OIC of mine once told us, "No one ever laid on their death bed and said, 'I wished I had spent more time at work.'" He valued family and told us we should too.

Condolences...
    Last edited by CJSmith; 04-08-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: grammar

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Sad and such a shame that she left so young. At least she had that one year with her family, I hate to hear about those that retire and then pass away soon after never really able to enjoy the retirement they earned.
    The best revenge is living well and life is great!

FLAPS Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    It definitely has me seriously thinking about retirement again. I was almost to the point of considering sticking it out for 2 more years... there are certainly worse things I could be doing and the extra $375 a month for one more year or $650 a month for 2 more years would be nice... but that's 2 less years of being a blue-card mafia bum.
    That's extra retirement pay that's not even guaranteed, contrary to what most people like to think. When our gov so borrowing $3 billion PER DAY to pay the bills, it makes you think how long the good times (ie, ret pay checks) will last.

Bottom line is if you are only hanging around for the PROMISE of a larger future paycheck you might want to reconsider plans and focus on what's more important...family time.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It definitely has me seriously thinking about retirement again. I was almost to the point of considering sticking it out for 2 more years... there are certainly worse things I could be doing and the extra $375 a month for one more year or $650 a month for 2 more years would be nice... but that's 2 less years of being a blue-card mafia bum.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    That's pretty sad, and reminds me of several people who didn't live too long after retirement. It also reminds me of several Chiefs/Cols and other ranks who worked 12+ hour days, came in on weekends to catch up, etc in the years leading up to retirement. Not sure how any of them are doing, but one thing is for sure, and that's nobody is talking about their impact on the AF.

They came, they sacrificed family 12+ hours per day, and they left without leaving any legacy behind. No portraits of them on the walls, no "Col/Chief Snuffy Rememberance Day," no mention of them in PME books, and no discussion at work whatsoever about any impact they made to the AF while working so many long hours. Five minutes after their retirement, life went on as if they were never there. Makes you think...
    It does make you think...I did the same as a SrA trying to show I had what it took for the next stripe but I also reached that point of "WTF am I doing"? Nowadays unless it's an emgency or I just want to get a head start on something my ass is out the door with everyone else...and if I do stay it ain't longer than 15-20 mins...
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

My sentiments, exactly. And my condolences to the chief's family. Personally, yesterday was eleven months since my open-heart surgery. Without it, I wouldn't be here. So I fully understand tomorrow is never guaranteed to anyone.

And I add this. Even though you may have had a bad day, there is always something each day for which to be grateful. Could be something as small as a good meal. And if you think things are tough for you right now, there are many who would give anything to be in your situation.

So never forget what's important. In the grand scheme of things, work isn't all that important.

Thread Information