Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unionized disgruntlement melodrama at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Post Unionized disgruntlement melodrama at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...Lakehurst.html

“The officer added that only a handful of grievances was filed each year while he worked at Fort Dix under the Army’s control.”

WTF - Army brass kinder and gentler on their civilians than AF?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Unionized disgruntlement melodrama at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

The same protests are going on at Offutt AFB. Less than 5% of Offutt's 2,800 civilians are members of the AFGE. Now they are inflating the numbers to 3,800, according to the Omaha World-Herald. The average salary for civilians at Offutt is $72,000, but the average salary in the private sector of Nebraska is only $42,000. I have not heard of any of their 300 SES's, GS15's or GS14's offering any advice or suggestions. It's very hard to sympathize with the perfumed prince grade creepers working at Offutt.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Unionized disgruntlement melodrama at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

Maybe part of the disgruntlement is caused by the obstacle of pronouncing the base's name.

MAJOR MAJOR: Where are you stationed?

AIRMAN ARMANN: You mean at what base?

MAJOR MAJOR: No, I mean under which fire hydrant? Of course I mean at what base.

JOE BONHAM: I don't have anything to add but I have to get another post in, here.

AIRMAN ARMANN: I would love to tell you, major, but the truth is, I keep forgetting what order the words come in.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I just don't get it. During the last assignment at DLI, I worked in a highly unionized environment. Was told that most of my fellow associate deans had had union grievences filed against them. I worked as an associate dean in three different schools and never had a grievance filed against me, even though there were times when I needed to address/help address some tough issues with faculty. I just treated everyone with courtesy and respect, even when I didn't agree with them. It's less work and overall costs much less to treat people properly, even when you have to pass on bad news.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

So, they're bitchin about getting OT being cut? We're talkin bout, OT. Not salary, OT?
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

GS-11,civilian-airman-major-warrior-retired-airman on strike? Need to 'cut' something off for sure.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticThunder View Post
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...Lakehurst.html

“The officer added that only a handful of grievances was filed each year while he worked at Fort Dix under the Army’s control.”

WTF - Army brass kinder and gentler on their civilians than AF?
    No this is another example of incompetent AF management just like the Minot to Barksdale nuke incident, the tanker lease program, the F35 program. This goes to directly prove the Army is superior to the AF in not only enlisted leadership but branch level management as well.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

'Leadership' answers to no one in a 'PC world'.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Overtime isn't an entitlement. While it stinks losing it, suck it up, buttercup.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

There is a lot more to this story, and a completely different point of view. I started working in civilian personnel at JBMDL about a year after joint basing. I didn't work in employee relations, but was in the same general office. As soon as management shifted from the Army to AF, they started complaining. About everything. To call some of the grievances mundane is an understatement; it was like they were sitting(or I guess standing since the chairs were removed from their breakroom) around going through their union contract line by line looking for things to gripe about.

An acquaintance of my husband's had a grievance filed against him his first day on the job, because one of the civilian officers did not like the new schedule or the fact that he was being supervised by an AF security forces officer. It was insanely asinine.

On a personal level, I had a very unpleasant interaction with one of these civilian gate guards--it was his first week, and he thought my inspection sticker was illegal(it was not and I tried to tell him)--he tried to tell me I could go to jail for falsifying a government document, I could lose my driving privileges, have to pay a huge fine, be taken down to the station in the back of a squad car, my husband could get in big trouble, but since he was in a forgiving mood, he would allow me 24 hours to "take care of it"--it was such a joke. Had my husband not been deployed at the time, it would have turned into a very ugly incident(he used to be a security forces officer).

On an entirely different level, when you have union negotiators that just want to fight every little thing the other side puts on the table, it's impossible to reach any sort of compromise. I thought one of our labor relations employees was going to have a stroke trying to get through meetings with the union reps. I have nothing against unions--my Dad was a union electrician for over 20 years. But, when the union reps and the people in the union feel that they should get whatever they want and are unwilling to compromise, it's completely counterproductive.

It sounds like the atmosphere has deteriorated even more since I was there, which is hard to believe.

Thread Information