Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Military drivers

JD2780 Guest

Default Military drivers

Why does it seem that many military folks seem to think its ok to drive like complete assholes? More often than not when I see a clown driving like a maniac I see some AF or army schwag plastered all over their car? Please for sanity's sake please taken your flare off of your car before you decide to drive like its a 3 ticket ride at the county fair.

Your common access card isn't a free pass to drive like an idiot.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Military drivers

The contributing factor to asshole-like driving is more likely to be youth, a characteristic highly represented in the military. So it might not be military drivers per se.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Very true and unfortunately that just goes with the territory around here...I've seen all sorts of crazy since being here. It'll never change. We ain't seen nothing yet, wait til summer if you havent experienced it...
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The contributing factor to asshole-like driving is more likely to be youth, a characteristic highly represented in the military. So it might not be military drivers per se.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

JD2780 Guest

In retrospect its probably more noticeable because of the flare plastered all over the vehicles. Same thing with clowns on bikes. Don't do wheelies when wearing your reflective vests. When driving your POV with that much flare act like your driving a gov since you're basically a rolling billboard. I remember the panhandle well during the summer. Morons are everywhere. Not as bad as Vegas but still complete idiots.

The majority are probably youth, but I see plenty of oak leaves and some heavy sleeves driving like they own the road. Once they cross that threshold at the gate, they're just an asshole with bad uniform. They need unscrew themselves.

JD2780 Guest

Changing lanes with out signaling and almost taking people out. Riding people's bumpers when they're already going 10-15 over with no place to get out of the way. These people aren't doing just on clear sunny days with light traffic. Heavy commuter traffic, majority of the time its at night not bad weather usually. Not only drive within your ability but you need to consider the inability of the other drivers. The newly licensed teens old folks, possible drunks.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Why does it seem that many military folks seem to think its ok to drive like complete assholes? More often than not when I see a clown driving like a maniac I see some AF or army schwag plastered all over their car? Please for sanity's sake please taken your flare off of your car before you decide to drive like its a 3 ticket ride at the county fair.

Your common access card isn't a free pass to drive like an idiot.
    What exactly do you mean by asshole drivers? I often drive a little bit aggressive. What I am doing though is not dangerous and I have never been in an accident where I was at fault. I once got a speeding ticket driving 106 in a 70 zone. It was saturday morning around 10 am. The weather was clear and the pavement was dry. It was on a divided highway and there were honestly no cars in sight. When I tell people about that ticket I get a lot of looks from people who would call me an asshole driver. The thing is though that I am driving within my ability. I am much more scared of people who drive 5-10 mph under the speed limit. They actually cause more accidents than people speeding. I wish there was some sort of special license for people who prove they are capable of driving at speeds higher than the limit.

When I moved to Ohio I transferred my license and ended up having to take both the written and driving tests. Instead of parallel parking Ohio has a different sort of test. They have cones set up in sort of an hour glass shape. You start from one side drive through the center to the opposite diagonal. Stop your car as if you were parking in a parking spot and then reverse back through the course to where you started. Most of the people taking this test borrowed the smallest car they could find from a friend. I used my 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with a 7 foot bed. People looked at me like I was crazy but I actually did better than any of the people in small vehicles. I am a big believer that if you cannot properly park a vehicle you should not be driving it.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    Also the illusion of being a "bad ass".

JD2780 Guest

Changing lanes with out signaling and almost taking people out. Riding people's bumpers when they're already going 10-15 over with no place to get out of the way. These people aren't doing just on clear sunny days with light traffic. Heavy commuter traffic, majority of the time its at night not bad weather usually. Not only drive within your ability but you need to consider the inability of the other drivers. The newly licensed teens old folks, possible drunks.

JB you're in Cali. Everybody I Cali drives like maniacs so I'll take as you just fitting in. I still love going to SoCal I just know what I'm getting into when I go.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    Ok I understand the type you are talking about. The only one I disagree with is changing lanes without signaling. Anytime I change lanes I always make sure I leave adequate space. Unless I absolutely have to I do not cut people off. So let me ask a question. Why does it matter if I signal my lane change? If I am driving in heavy traffic (4 lines on each side of a divided highway) I will signal my lane changes but if we are talking about a simple two lanes I do not really feel the need to use my blinker. I think every person should drive defensively and worry about their own vehicle. As long as I do not cut right in front of you it should honestly make no difference to you whether or not I use my blinker to change lanes.

Thread Information