Thread: Our commander in Korea

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Our commander in Korea

Would anyone like to offer a comment on Gen. James Thurman, our commander in Korea? How is he regarded by his peers in the Army? What do soldiers think of him?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Our commander in Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Would anyone like to offer a comment on Gen. James Thurman, our commander in Korea? How is he regarded by his peers in the Army? What do soldiers think of him?
    Objection! Calls for speculation.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

He's alot better than that weasel General Barnicky. That SOB still owes me money.

Years ago I picked up CINC-UNK in Harrisburgh PA. Flew him non stop to OSAN, sat for 5 days then flew him back non stop to Andrews. At andrews another -10 crew drove down from McGuire, and flew him back non stop the next day to OSAN. A mighty expensive week and 1/2 driving him and his staff around. About 48 flight hours in the silver bullet for him. On the bright side, when we flew him around , he had a flight attendant. We got to eat alot better, and there is something awesome about walking back to the stew and having him hook you up with a fresh cappuchino. Those dudes rock.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Objection! Calls for speculation.
    Doesn't neither.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ttribe View Post
    He's alot better than that weasel General Barnicky. That SOB still owes me money.

Years ago I picked up CINC-UNK in Harrisburgh PA. Flew him non stop to OSAN, sat for 5 days then flew him back non stop to Andrews. At andrews another -10 crew drove down from McGuire, and flew him back non stop the next day to OSAN. A mighty expensive week and 1/2 driving him and his staff around. About 48 flight hours in the silver bullet for him. On the bright side, when we flew him around , he had a flight attendant. We got to eat alot better, and there is something awesome about walking back to the stew and having him hook you up with a fresh cappuchino. Those dudes rock.
    Even after reading his official bio, I'm not clear on whether the term CINCUNC is still in use. Rumsfeld eliminated the term "commanders in chief" (CINCs) for what are now called combatant commanders but it's not clear whether that applies to the boss of United Nations Command. And, yes, I'm seriously asking for opinions about the incumbent, which is not the same as asking for speculation.

ttribe's recollection of CINCUNC's long-range flying brought back a memory. On June 5, 1971, was a passenger aboard VC-135A 62-4129 of the 89th MAW carrying CINCUNC (Michaelis) and the U.S. ambassador (Porter) from Kimpo to Andrews. The flight could have been made nonstop but Iron Mike wanted to dine at a certain facility at Elmendorf so we stopped there en route.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Perry Mason moment.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    How is he regarded by his peers in the Army?
    You would need to ask his peers. I doubt this is the right place to do so.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    You would need to ask his peers. I doubt this is the right place to do so.
    This probably isn't the right place since no one from the Army ever seems to show up here. I don't want to know what his peers think. I want to know what his troops think.

Thread Information