Thread: Hagel to surrender part of his salary in recognition of sequester

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Hagel to surrender part of his salary in recognition of sequester

http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...lian-furloughs

Wow! For a guy whose ability and qualifications were questioned for this position, I think congress has a lot to learn from him. I'd rather have an incompetent person with integrity in office than to have a crooked Einstein.

Given his salary, I doubt he'll feel much of a pinch (doesn't say how much he'll forfeit) but, it's an honorable gesture at the least.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Hagel to surrender part of his salary in recognition of sequester

Heard on the radio the other day that POTUS is doing the same thing. A couple members of Congress are doing the same to show that they are willing to accept some of the pain the feds are. Seeing as they cannot be compelled to do this as their pay is set by law, it is nice to see that at least some are willing to shoulder some of the discomfort.

In the case of political appointees, it's hard to say. In some cases, they may take a serious hit in pay just taking the appointment. I understand the late Admiral Watkins only did one tour as Energy because it was costing him major money each year to do the job. I think it had something to do with his not being able to draw his military pension while he was Energy. Not positve, and that was 20 years ago.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I suppose it's a nice gesture, but that's all that it is. Not one of them is going to feel any kind of pain for it, as they still have bank account balances with seven figures. A nice thing to do at best, standard political theater at worst.
    "I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." -Fox Mulder

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

It is a nice gesture, but when the potus has every damn thing he needs/wants paid for by us while he serves what the heck does he need 400k a year for?

Thread Information