Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hagel Calling Out the Generals

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Hagel Calling Out the Generals

They don't have to LQQK further then a 'Minesweeper on a REEF'!...
    Last edited by RobotChicken; 04-09-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Hagel Calling Out the Generals

http://washingtonexaminer.com/hagel-...stom_click=rss

Hagel blamed the prospective cuts on sequestration. “[F]iscal realities demand another hard look at personnel – how many people we have both military and civilian, how many we need, what these people do, and how we compensate them for their work, service, and loyalty with pay, benefits and health care,” Hagel said at the National Defense University today.
    Interesting remarks from the SecDef.

While I disagree with actually cutting military pay, I understand that something does need to be done to tweak the retirement. Hopefully they give this a lot of thought and understand all the potential benefits as well as the potential consequences of doing so.

He also needs to understand that any further cuts to the end strength needs to come with the expectation of doing less with less. It's great that if your local Commanders agree with that line of thinking, but if leadership all the way to the top of the chain have not accepted that as the new reality, then we will continue to be expected to perform the same missions at the same effectiveness with less and less people and less and less money.

I do think it's a great thing that he is looking harder at the GO billets. End strength has continued to drop, but somehow, GO billets are not following suit.

He also hinted at cutting jobs for military brass. “The last major defense re-organization, Goldwater-Nichols, was drafted at the height of the Reagan defense buildup and focused on improving jointness and establishing clear operational chains of command,” Hagel said. “Cost and efficiency were not major considerations . . . Today the operational forces of the military – measured in battalions, ships, and aircraft wings – have shrunk dramatically since the Cold War era. Yet the three and four star command and support structures sitting atop these smaller fighting forces have stayed intact, with minor exceptions, and in some cases they are actually increasing in size and rank.”
    Last edited by grimreaper; 04-04-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Strong RC presence in this thread.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post

While I disagree with actually cutting military pay, I understand that something does need to be done to tweak the retirement. Hopefully they give this a lot of thought and understand all the potential benefits as well as the potential consequences of doing so.

He also needs to understand that any further cuts to the end strength needs to come with the expectation of doing less with less. It's great that if your local Commanders agree with that line of thinking, but if leadership all the way to the top of the chain have not accepted that as the new reality, then we will continue to be expected to perform the same missions at the same effectiveness with less and less people and less and less money.

I do think it's a great thing that he is looking harder at the GO billets. End strength has continued to drop, but somehow, GO billets are not following suit.

I really don't have a huge problem with the SECDEF's comments, but I fear the quality and level of the analysis that may go into future changes, as well as the interpretation of his comments, and where priorities may be set.

In other words, I think this is an opportunity to clean up some messes, but I fear we're just going to make a bigger mess.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Why do we need 1,000 flag officers for 3 million sailors, Marines, soldiers and airmen? In WWII, we had 2,000 flag officers leading 16 million troops. Hagel needs to cut at least 500 flag officer slots/billets. Also, Hagel needs to take a look at his grade creeping SES's (civilian generals). He needs to cut those slots/billets by 50% also. All of the military services have too many SES's, generals and admirals.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse19 View Post
    Why do we need 1,000 flag officers for 3 million sailors, Marines, soldiers and airmen? In WWII, we had 2,000 flag officers leading 16 million troops. Hagel needs to cut at least 500 flag officer slots/billets. Also, Hagel needs to take a look at his grade creeping SES's (civilian generals). He needs to cut those slots/billets by 50% also. All of the military services have too many SES's, generals and admirals.
    Agreed. The lower ranks are doing more with less, so why not force the "brass" to do the same.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post

According to which anonymous, corporate donor funded, "objective" think tank? Why aren't any of these so called "non profit" think tanks saying anything about the $3 Billion dollars a year that the government reimburses just the 3 largest defense contractors alone (Lockheed, Northrop or Raytheon) for their defined benefit pension plans?? It's being taken for granted that the military retirement is unsustainable. The fact of the matter is that it's not. If you tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth. If anything it's going to shrink as more retirees die off and they continue to screw over the population with this bogus CPI. Pensions have already been raided in the private sector, to maximize profits for big business and put all the risks onto the workers. It's been a disaster for the mainstream. why should the military follow suit? matching 401K won't be any cheaper for the taxpayer. but, it will make a lot of money for certain corporate interests on wall street and their lapdogs in Congress. Take it to the bank when Rainmaker tells you that is what all this bloviating about "retirement reform" is really all about.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 04-05-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Hagel really rubs me the wrong way. He's supposed to go to bat for us and it seems like he's offering up our pay and benefits on a silver platter for cuts. It's fucking insulting.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse19 View Post
    Why do we need 1,000 flag officers for 3 million sailors, Marines, soldiers and airmen?
    Your numbers are off a bit. As of FEB 2013 (the most recent report), we have 924 flag/general officers for a total force of 1,138,154 troops. Makes the ratio 1 flag/general for every 1,232 troops. Throw in a total of 86,789 field grade officers... more than a little top-heavy.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

If minimum wage had increased since 1990 at the same rate as CEO pay... minimum wage would be $23 an hour.

I suppose it should come as no surprise that the lower rungs of the military get wrung dry while the generals continue to take in their paychecks unaffected. Bleh.

Thread Information