Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Business Class

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Business Class

I'm currently taking an upper-level "Business Communications" course and it is quite enlightening. What is most curious is that from what we are being taught from both the instructor and the course text, the Air Force has got it almost completely wrong in regards to communication and messages.

Jargon. Buzzwords. Cliche's. How often in both the common course of the duty day and in messages from top AF leadership do people encounter these?

Plain language and simplicity are extremely emphasized in this course; that is something I personally believe would fit in well with the military style of communication.

Just my thoughts...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Business Class

It took awhile but fire/rescue/police started to 'talk in the clear' and did away with that 10-4 crap,maybe if the military didn't have all these 2k words that meant 'jeep'.....'vehicle'.."What? it's a 6 by"!!!! (some A$$CLOWN must of made 0-6 come'in up with HMMWV)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    I'm currently taking an upper-level "Business Communications" course and it is quite enlightening. What is most curious is that from what we are being taught from both the instructor and the course text, the Air Force has got it almost completely wrong in regards to communication and messages.

Jargon. Buzzwords. Cliche's. How often in both the common course of the duty day and in messages from top AF leadership do people encounter these?

Plain language and simplicity are extremely emphasized in this course; that is something I personally believe would fit in well with the military style of communication. Just my thoughts...
    In my military education experience, that is exactly what is taught. Many just don't follow those guidelines. I suppose it depends on your line of work and your position on the food chain.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

No one in the AF wants to use plain language because they want to sound smart and impress their audience (especially their boss) with fancy words. Officers are notorious for this.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    In my military education experience, that is exactly what is taught. Many just don't follow those guidelines. I suppose it depends on your line of work and your position on the food chain.
    Yes, it is taught. I just do not see it practiced too often. I believe the biggest offender was the "5MT" email from many moons ago. Lately, I've seen a lot of "BLUF" emails in which the "bottom line" that is "up front" makes no sense. Maybe "BLUF" is the new "synergy".

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The essay "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell, which is accessible on line, should be required reading.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes, it is taught. I just do not see it practiced too often. I believe the biggest offender was the "5MT" email from many moons ago. Lately, I've seen a lot of "BLUF" emails in which the "bottom line" that is "up front" makes no sense. Maybe "BLUF" is the new "synergy".
    Military jargon is in our culture and although it changes with the times, I think it will conitue long into the future. I also think the Blackberry has had a negative effect on simple, straight forward writing. I've had bosses in the past that said if they had to scroll on their blackberry then the message is too long. That may be why the BLUF has grown in popularity.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Plain language and simplicity are extremely emphasized in this course; that is something I personally believe would fit in well with the military style of communication.

Just my thoughts...
    The problem is not unique to the Air Force or to these Forums. It is a problem in all institutions. It's worse today because education and literacy have declined so sharply and inside-baseball jargon is always a handy crutch. I doubt very many people will follow policy of trying never to use jargon or abbreviations.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TREYSLEDGE View Post
    Military jargon is in our culture and although it changes with the times, I think it will conitue long into the future. I also think the Blackberry has had a negative effect on simple, straight forward writing. I've had bosses in the past that said if they had to scroll on their blackberry then the message is too long. That may be why the BLUF has grown in popularity.
    Yes, the point was made that jargon, when accepted and known by the audience, is a useful communication tool. The military, with its uniqueness, is jargon-friendly (to a point).

I'm just very enlightened by this course because it has not only unveiled weaknesses in my own communication methods but has also shown just how stuck in the times the U.S. Air Force is. The communication methods/models have changed but it seems Air Force methods/models are still lingering in the late 90s/early 2000 dot.com heyday.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    The essay "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell, which is accessible on line, should be required reading.
    http://www.newrepublic.com/article/b...lish-language#

Thread Information