Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Army vet charged with participating in Syrian civil war

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Army vet charged with participating in Syrian civil war

In an earlier thread I said that if an American feels strongly about a foreign war... he is more than welcome in my book to grab a gun and go participate himself.

Well if you do decide to do that... don't boast about it on Facebook.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2013/0...-qaida-032813/

The exact charges, accoridng to the article - are "using a weapon of mass destruction outside the United States"... I'm not entirely sure how an RPG is a "weapon of mass destruction".
    Last edited by Banned; 04-02-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Army vet charged with participating in Syrian civil war

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    The exact charges, accoridng to the article - are "using a weapon of mass destruction outside the United States"... I'm not entirely sure how an RPG is a "weapon of mass destruction".
    "Harroun allegedly told FBI agents in voluntary interviews at the U.S. Embassy in Istanbul, Turkey, he fought with al-Nusra for 25 days, engaging in seven to 10 battles in which he was assigned to an "RPG team," the complaint states, adding he allegedly said he used an RPG to take down a tower on "at least one occasion."

What was this tower, and how many casualties resulted in its destruction?

Oh, and VOLUNTARY interviews?

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/...2401364540400/
    Last edited by Greg; 04-02-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Right now as I type this, there are dual US-Israeli citizens serving in the Israel Defense Forces. Dozens if not hundreds of such people. How is this different than what this guy did?

Don't get me wrong.........I think both instances are wrong. If you want to renounce your US citizenship and go fight for another army, great. Otherwise, not so much.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Right now as I type this, there are dual US-Israeli citizens serving in the Israel Defense Forces. Dozens if not hundreds of such people. How is this different than what this guy did?

Don't get me wrong.........I think both instances are wrong. If you want to renounce your US citizenship and go fight for another army, great. Otherwise, not so much.

Did the guy in Syria denounce his citizenship or did he simply take up arms and support an unorganized militia?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

His dad has been in the news for weeks saying he was just waiting for the charges to come... I don't suppose anyone else noticed that he has been fighting in Syria for months but now that he is talking about Israel, it is all of a sudden a problem...?
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    His dad has been in the news for weeks saying he was just waiting for the charges to come... I don't suppose anyone else noticed that he has been fighting in Syria for months but now that he is talking about Israel, it is all of a sudden a problem...?
    I might have confused the issue. I don't think there was a mention of Israel with regard to the ex-soldier. I mentioned Israel because the fact is that US citizens have been fighting for foreign powers for years and there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Like I said, that has never sat well with me nor does this guys actions. Particularly since it looked like he didn't vet the group he joined very well.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I might have confused the issue. I don't think there was a mention of Israel with regard to the ex-soldier. I mentioned Israel because the fact is that US citizens have been fighting for foreign powers for years and there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Like I said, that has never sat well with me nor does this guys actions. Particularly since it looked like he didn't vet the group he joined very well.
    It was in the Army Times article...said he hated zionists and was going to meet with the palestinians... Of course now you can't get to that article...
    “I say, imagine in your private life, if you decided that I’m not going to pay my mortgage for a month or two—first of all you’re not saving money by not paying your mortgage. You’re just a dead beat. “

--Barak Obama

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not
    --John Lennon

Lord of the Pings

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pullinteeth View Post
    It was in the Army Times article...said he hated zionists and was going to meet with the palestinians... Of course now you can't get to that article...
    Oh...yeah, I couldn't view it yesterday. Wonder why it was pulled down?

JD2780 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bonham View Post
    I agree 100%. If you take a side, and that side loses, then don't cry when bad things happen.
    With that said we both know they will expect the state dept to bail them out.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Me personally - I don't have an issue with dual citizens serving in another military force, nor is there any law against that I'm aware of. Whatever my personal feelings about the Israeli state - on principle I don't have an issue with American Israeli citizens serving in the IDF - provided they don't knowingly work against the United States.

In the case of this guy fighting in Syria, and his plans to fight against Israel - I don't have an objection to either of those things. If it is acceptable for an American to fight FOR Israel, then it logically follows that there should be no issue with an American fighting AGAINST Israel either.

Now of course if that decision leads to consequences - such as an American IDF Soldier being captured, or this guy being captured by the IDF - that's a risk he should be willing to accept before doing it.

Oh...yeah, I couldn't view it yesterday. Wonder why it was pulled down?
    Wow - article got pulled. Very interesting.

I think this charge is BS.

Thread Information