Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Retroactive Compensation Payment from VA

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Retroactive Compensation Payment from VA

I got a letter in the mail today from the VA. The letter stated:

The Defense Authorization Acts of 2003 and 2004 established two programs whereby certain military retirees may have restored to them some or all of the retired pay they waived as required by law to receive disability compensation from VA. VA has worked with DFAS Cleveland to develop a method for making retroactive Combat Related Special Compansation (CRSC). Concurrent Receipt of Retired and Disability Pay (CRDP) payments and VA disability payments previously withheld but now permitted by law.

Long story short... they deposited almost $7,000 in my account today. I was placed on the retired list on 1 SEP 2012, so I can't imagine how I would be eligible for such a payment.

Have any of you other Blue ID holders received this letter? Does this sound like a mistake?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Retroactive Compensation Payment from VA

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I got a letter in the mail today from the VA. The letter stated:

The Defense Authorization Acts of 2003 and 2004 established two programs whereby certain military retirees may have restored to them some or all of the retired pay they waived as required by law to receive disability compensation from VA. VA has worked with DFAS Cleveland to develop a method for making retroactive Combat Related Special Compansation (CRSC). Concurrent Receipt of Retired and Disability Pay (CRDP) payments and VA disability payments previously withheld but now permitted by law.

Long story short... they deposited almost $7,000 in my account today. I was placed on the retired list on 1 SEP 2012, so I can't imagine how I would be eligible for such a payment.

Have any of you other Blue ID holders received this letter? Does this sound like a mistake?
    Are you 50% or more service connected disability? This sounds like concurrent receipt. Touch base with a Veterans Service Officer before you buy something really cool.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    Are you 50% or more service connected disability? This sounds like concurrent receipt. Touch base with a Veterans Service Officer before you buy something really cool.
    Yes, I am. Case was finalized 25 FEB 2013. Maybe the letter is trying to tell me I am getting the dual payments..? So I get retirement pay as well as a compensation pay?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes, I am. Case was finalized 25 FEB 2013. Maybe the letter is trying to tell me I am getting the dual payments..? So I get retirement pay as well as a compensation pay?
    That's what it sounds like. Get it double checked before cashing the check.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    That's what it sounds like. Get it double checked before cashing the check.
    Definitely! If I learned anything from being in the military, it is don't trust finance to get it right. When overpayed, put it in savings because they will take it back without warning. Thanks for the input.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Yes you do get two payments of retirement and disability compensation pay. It looks like you received back compensation pay for the months in between the time you filed for compensation disability pay and the first month you started receiving the compensation disability pay. I am guessing about 7 months? Make sure a veteran service agency reviews what you received to ensure you got the full amount.

I am not sure how Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) applies. I am still waiting on my back pay from the VA. The last I heard was I would be receive my back pay in Dec 2013 and I started receiving payments Oct 2012.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The VA has an annoying but effective callback system. You leave a message and choose a time and believe it or not, someone does call you at that time.

It all checked out. The $7K is back pay for the disability compensation going back to my retirement date of 1 SEP 2012. The guy that I spoke to was shocked that I would question if I was actually eligible for this money. I do appreciate all the input and hopefully this information will clear things up for someone else in the future.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Damn, now I can't remember if my wife is 30% or 50%... but she only gets a concurrent payment of $500 as a 25 year SMSgt, so $7k seems like a lot, unless you're at a much higher percentage. VA math makes my head hurt... lol
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    Damn, now I can't remember if my wife is 30% or 50%... but she only gets a concurrent payment of $500 as a 25 year SMSgt, so $7k seems like a lot, unless you're at a much higher percentage. VA math makes my head hurt... lol
    i am rated at 70. the $7K is for 5 months of back pay.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

i am rated at 70. the $7K is for 5 months of back pay.
    Just checked with my wife, she's 60% and only gets $500 a month as a 25 year SMSgt. If I remember correctly, you're an "O"; $1400 a month concurrent pay... very nice!!
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Thread Information