Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who says you can't retire from the military and never work again..

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Who says you can't retire from the military and never work again..

no comment
    Last edited by ROAD; 07-30-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Who says you can't retire from the military and never work again..

Ain't it awesome? One of the places I am considering where they say you can live without a worry for $2k a month isn't on that list, but I love seeing those lists.

So sick of America anymore that every time I see those lists, the wife and I start doing our homework.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD View Post
    Surfing yahoo, because I'm old and I still think yahoo rocks and I rfan across this article. If this article is even remotely true, goodbye US and hello...to those place i can live very comfortably for 1500 a month!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-grea...w_default=true
    Why would anyone want not to work?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Because we're paying for those who don't, and getting the rich richer off of our backs for an unfair share of that pie. Why not take our retirements and move somewhere so that it can stretch out to a comfortable, work-free and abuse free society?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Surfing yahoo, because I'm old and I still think yahoo rocks and I rfan across this article. If this article is even remotely true, goodbye US and hello...to those place i can live very comfortably for 1500 a month!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-grea...w_default=true
    In April I took a 10 day motorcycle tour around Ecuador and was AMAZED at all the ex-pats living there. They live like kings, and if you're single, you ARE a king!! Prime example, we were in Canoa for 2 days, staying at a hotel right on the beach. Walking down the row of bars/resturaunts along the water and stopped for lunch and sat at one of the tables out in front of the joint, sharing a table with an older Canadian fellow, probably pushing 65... balding, with a nice beer gut. We chatted and he was telling us about his place in the town just south of there; he lived in an apartment 2 blocks from the beach. He has most of his meals delivered and once a week a guy brings him a bucket full of GIANT shrimp to throw on the grill and he pays a whopping $10 for them! As we're chatting, this SMOKING HOT 20-something black/hispanic mixed looking gal in a teeny bikini and sarong comes and sits down next to him and kisses him on the cheek. Seeing our jaws drop, he acknowledged that this was his "room mate!!" He said if you've got money, they don't care how old you are... treat them nice and they are all yours! Only problem is they think you have a never ending supply of money, so you've got to get to be realistic.. but beyond that, he said there are 1000 more like her out there. He said he lives on between $1000-1200 a month and lives like a millionare.

And once you turn 65, you've REALLY got it made!

Ecuador’s senior-citizen discount program is intended to help its own citizens. But the country’s constitution guarantees foreign residents the same rights as citizens—so as a retiree, you’ll enjoy the same benefits.

These include:

50% off public and private transportation within the country (including the Galápagos)
    50% off tickets for all cultural and sporting events, including movies
    50% off electric and water bills (below certain usage levels)
    Free domestic landline phone service (does not include long distance and other services)
    You’ll also get 50% off international airfares on Taca, Copa, or AeroGal for round-trip flights originating in Ecuador
    Best of all, you never have to stand in line. If you’re a senior citizen, when you make a bank deposit or pay your utility bill, it’s the law that you go directly to the front of the line.

When you’re over 65, you pay lower income tax. And you get any money spent on VAT (value-added tax) refunded each month—up to about $250.

The Ecuadorian government also guarantees senior citizens access to free health care and medication, and exemption from notary and registration fees.
    If you are a "pensioner" who can prove you make over $8,000 a month, and you stay in Ecuador for 9 months out of two consecutive years, you become a "resident" (which is different than citizenship, which would require you to renounce your US citizenship) and have all the rights of an Ecuadorian, except the right to vote!
    http://www.discovercuencaecuador.com...y-visa-in.html

As you can tell, I've given it a little thought
    Last edited by CrustySMSgt; 02-24-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
    Because we're paying for those who don't, and getting the rich richer off of our backs for an unfair share of that pie. Why not take our retirements and move somewhere so that it can stretch out to a comfortable, work-free and abuse free society?
    Ummm....damn near all of those cities are in countries with single payer health care and social programs that would put us to shame. If you dont like that then you might as well stay in the US.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Because there are many more other neat things to do in life besides work. Have worked in a number of areas since retiring. Never had a single job that really compared to most of the things I did on active duty, even as a new second lieutenant. No, if you can afford not to work, than why waste the time? You won't be missed in the civilian workforce - too many unemployed as it is. Look at it this way - if you can afford not to work and don't work, then someone who really needs the job has a better chance of getting the job. And your time is your own. A win-win all around.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert F. Dorr View Post
    Not a matter of not WANTING to work, but not HAVING to work. When I retire I'll do something I WANT to do, even if it is just volunteering. I'll find plenty of ways to keep myself busy and out enjoying life.
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I thought the place in Malaysia would be the best until I read up on Malaysian laws, which are basically Muslim laws, no thanks. So now i'm thinking Panama or Ecuador, not sure what the guidelines are for either country, but I will find out. Plus let's face it, Hispanics are hot
    Ecuador has so much to see... you can be at 14,000' in the morning and drive to the beach. And the Equator is pretty cool! People are very nice, from the mom & pop roadside resturaunts, to the city folks in Quito. And you can eat until you pop for under $20 pretty much anywhere. I would love to get back down there and spend a year riding around the country on a motorcycle!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The point I was making was that if I can't escape it, then I'll go somewhere that my money is worthwhile and a better place to live overall. And one benefit of military service - you get to see a LOT of places that are better to live than in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Ummm....damn near all of those cities are in countries with single payer health care and social programs that would put us to shame. If you dont like that then you might as well stay in the US.

Thread Information