Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleep Apnea - Worth 50% in retirement???

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Sleep Apnea - Worth 50% in retirement???

Forgive my ignorance but it will be a few years before I retire so I haven't looked into VA retirement benefits all that much. My doctor mentioned that my sleep apnea will be worth 50% disability from the VA when I retire. Can someone please tell me exactly what this means? Does the VA cut you an extra check every month or something or is there some kind of tax benefit? Do I get to park in handicap spots?

(j/k on that last one....)

Tak Guest

Default Re: Sleep Apnea - Worth 50% in retirement???

generally speaking, good news sleep apnea with CPAP, bad news MEB.
    Unless your within a year of retirement I think. And yes, the 50% does
    kick in a second check, disability, no tax

My problem is I had the sleep test, no sleep apnea, but severe sleep disturbance,
    have been on CPAP every sense

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    generally speaking, good news sleep apnea with CPAP, bad news MEB.
    Unless your within a year of retirement I think. And yes, the 50% does
    kick in a second check, disability, no tax

My problem is I had the sleep test, no sleep apnea, but severe sleep disturbance,
    have been on CPAP every sense
    I was diagnosed with a minor case of sleep apnea (i.e. I wouldn't know I had it other than the doc sent me in for a sleep study due to elevated blood pressure.) I have an APAP now and my MEB just closed. They put me on a C1 assignment code. SO all is good in the hood for now. Just curious what the retirement benefits the doc was talking about meant.

Thanks.

Tak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    I was diagnosed with a minor case of sleep apnea (i.e. I wouldn't know I had it other than the doc sent me in for a sleep study due to elevated blood pressure.) I have an APAP now and my MEB just closed. They put me on a C1 assignment code. SO all is good in the hood for now. Just curious what the retirement benefits the doc was talking about meant.

Thanks.
    look up concurrent receipt...You will get a retirement check when you retire, PLUS a whole other check seperately that is not taxed. Is can range from a thousand to thousands of dollars, depending on your final percentage, wife, kids, etc.

You have to have at least 50% to qualify and sleep apnea with machine starts at 50%, so you hit the jackpot and may
    never have to work again.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but it will be a few years before I retire so I haven't looked into VA retirement benefits all that much. My doctor mentioned that my sleep apnea will be worth 50% disability from the VA when I retire. Can someone please tell me exactly what this means? Does the VA cut you an extra check every month or something or is there some kind of tax benefit? Do I get to park in handicap spots?

(j/k on that last one....)
    You may be just kidding on the Handicap spots, but it's TRUE! The magic number for Disabled Veteran plates (in Texas at least) is 50%. My vehicle plate went from $65 annual to $3 every year (and the DMV highly recommended that you pay for three (or four) years in advance so it makes the check go further and less paperwork for them.

Here is a link for a VA disabilty calculator to figure the amount that Tak was referring to;

http://www.vvaarizona.org/va_comp_calc.php#result
    Last edited by oih82w8; 05-02-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    success...

I am sure that I am plagiarizing someone.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. - Bill Cosby

Oh I Hate To Wait {oih82w8}

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oih82w8 View Post
    You may be just kidding on the Handicap spots, but it's TRUE! The magic number for Disabled Veteran plates (in Texas at least) is 50%. My vehicle plate went from $65 annual to $3 every year (and the DMV highly recommended that you pay for three (or four) years in advance so it makes the check go further and less paperwork for them.
    lol I was just kidding in that I would never actually park in one unless I was truly disabled and not j "technically". I will be happy to take the check though.....

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I honestly can't see WHY sleep apnea, which is a condition you have from birth (from what i remember of reading on it), so therefore it should not be considered military related, should count for disability.. IIRC all the disability rating is for is to compensate you for injuries and disabilities you received DUE to your mil work.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    You have to have at least 50% to qualify and sleep apnea with machine starts at 50%, so you hit the jackpot and may
    never have to work again.
    Great...so the government pays thousands of dollars extra for people to sleep their life away. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I honestly can't see WHY sleep apnea, which is a condition you have from birth (from what i remember of reading on it), so therefore it should not be considered military related, should count for disability.. IIRC all the disability rating is for is to compensate you for injuries and disabilities you received DUE to your mil work.
    Blew my mind when I found out too. From what I've researched though it is not always hereditary. much of the time extra wieght (i.e. fat) contributes greatly. Once I got diagnosed and talking to people I know a ton of people technically have it and most don't know it until a sleep study is done. I know people that have it so bad that they are walking zombies until it was treated... I was lucky mine is not that bad. Definitely don't know why it is considered 50% disabled but I'm sure there is a reason.

You'd think if it is from birth and so many people have it they would screen for it at MEPS?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    so the government pays thousands of dollars extra for people to sleep their life away.
    wha?

Thread Information